Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 secretangel

secretangel

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

Over the last year or so I have been getting the following message every now and again on my pc

"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power.

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations"

I click on OK and can then carry on as usual until it pops up again.

Over the last few weeks the message is popping up more and more frequently. Today my daugher tried to play on The Sims2 but couldn't as every few seconds the screen was minimising and this message was being displayed. She has previously played this game for hours without any problems.

My PC is about 6 years old, was bought from Mesh Computers

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3000+
2.00 GHz 1.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce FX5900XT

I have had problems several times with the power supply fan (a Mesh engineer came out to replace it when it was about 2 years old).

A couple of times over the last month I have also had an error message about the CPU overheating.

I do not really have any knowledge about the "insides" of my pc and I have no instruction manual for the graphics card to help me.

Help :thumbsup:
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Dev Mgr

Dev Mgr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:35 AM

It sounds like your powersupply may be deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

Odds are that your system can use a regular ATX powersupply.

If your system is out of warranty, I'd suggest something from 400 to 500W as that should be more than enough for that videocard. One thing about powersupplies is that you get what you pay for. I'd suggest looking at something from Enermax, Antec, Cooler Master, Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Silverstone, Thermaltake or Zalman. There are other good brands, but picking one of these should get you a good quality powersupply.

The CPU overheating could be due to the failing powersupply not moving enough warm air out of the case anymore, but it could also be that the fan on your processor's heatsink is starting to fail. This could be due to dust and could then be fixed with some compressed air and blowing out the case. If you've kept your computer case pretty clean it could also mean the fan on the heatsink is starting to slow down and may need replacing. Some of these fans are rather unique and you may need to replace the whole heatsink/fan combination.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

6 years old, I'd say it's time for a good cleaning of the interior
We have a tutorial that is easy to follow:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

As far as the power supply itself goes, I'm sure the tech put in an off-the-shelf, generic replacement w/minimum wattage
An upgrade to a more powerful one would probably be benificial
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 secretangel

secretangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 154 posts
  •  

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:02 AM

Thank you :thumbsup:

will try cleaning PC first and see if that improves things first and then go from there
Posted Image

When you wanna give up, and your hearts about to break
Remember that you're perfect, God makes no mistakes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users