Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hotmail-problems with mail sent and address book

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 choccyface

choccyface

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:22 AM

i had a virus last week, which someone on mse kindly fixed (didnt know about here then, so apologies!). i ran scans etc and my laptop was cleaned.

yesterday, i got up to find that i had undelivered mail and out of office replies for emails which i hadnt sent. it was a "shopping" one which was obviously a spam one - it had been sent to everyone in my address book - the top part of the email detailed everyone's details.

after taking advice on mse yesterday, i changed my password on another computer, then ran malware bytes which said my laptop had no nasties on it.

ive tried to send hotmail today, but my contact list has disappeared. Are the 2 events related? is there anything i can do to get the list back?

i run on firefox, have free avg, windows firewall. malaware, superantispy and spybot are all clean. as you have probably guess, i'm not that technically minded. I am unable to post a malaware log, as it won't let me get into it.

thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MattSn

MattSn

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

I'm afraid I'm a complete newbie when dealing with computers but my friend had exactly the same happen to her yesterday. Some very dodgy email was sent out from her account to everyone on her address list. Her address book was also deleted.

If I have a copy of the mail I wonder if I can post it here?

Edited by MattSn, 14 April 2009 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users