Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive troubles

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 highonpropane

highonpropane

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:18 AM

My problem is i have a new windows vista computer. I had a year old dell that was running windows xp with one 160 gig sata maxtor hd. The motherboard went out and i decided to get a new laptop. I need to get the data off of the old hard drive and put it onto my laptop. I have an external sata hard drive case so i hooked the old hard drive up to it and it to the laptop by way of usb. the bios shows it is there and the disk management shows the external hard drive without a letter and the only option i have is to look at the properties of the drive or delete the partition on it. But "my computer" does not show the hard drive. i was wondering if the problem lied in the fact that it was a c drive and now wont show up because there is already a c drive on the laptop. I would really appreciate the help in getting my computer to recognize the old hard drive so i can get my info off.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

Go to your start menu and in the run box (or hold down your windows key and press the R key) type dismgmt.msc and press enter you will see a list of drives. See if the USB drive is listed and what are the entries next to it.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users