Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to make my mind up

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DaveyCS

DaveyCS

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:26 AM

I'm looking at getting another anti virus. I'm torn between these two which is the best?
Kaspersky Premium,the second is Avira AntiVir Premium 9. Both I've been told are good but which is the best and best features? :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thank You David W Crockett Sr. :trumpet:
"Thank You Very Much".........

Davey Crockett Sr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:35 AM

Hi David,

Both vendors products offer excellent protection and everyone will have an opinion on which is best. The only way to know for sure which one is right for you is to try both.

Each offer a 30 day trial of their software.
http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/trials
http://www.avira.com/en/products/test_license_2.html

Best of luck :thumbsup:.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:09 AM

Trying both, one at a time, seems excellent advice; both offer very sound protection, so which you ultimately choose will depend on the ease of use for YOU, which seems to take up fewer resources, which has the better interface, and so on.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:53 AM

Yes I knew that they both offered the 30 trial. I've written them about a couple of things. I wanted to know about. :thumbsup: :flowers:

Thank You Very Much for Info :trumpet:

Davey Crockett Sr

#5 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Kaspersky is alot better at cleaning infections as opposed to deleting as Avira does. However, I feel avira has much better detection and it undoubtably has a much faster scanner.

#6 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:47 PM

Kaspersky is alot better at cleaning infections as opposed to deleting as Avira does. However, I feel avira has much better detection and it undoubtably has a much faster scanner.

When wrote this why? Is it better to delete or clean? You are writing to a dumb ole Hillbilly from TENN. Stopped in ARK to buy shoes. ( I know yall liked that) :thumbsup:
No honestly which is better?

Thank You Guys For your Responses. :flowers: :trumpet:

David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#7 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:12 AM

Both provide great protection. AntiVir has slightly better detection, Kaspersky has a HIPS. If you're going to use an AV as you're only real-time protection Kaspersky should be a slightly better choice because of the HIPS. Though with a bit of common sense you shouldn't get infected no matter which one you choose.

#8 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:07 PM

I appreciate your response. I will give them the thirty day trial. Then go from there.But I think i'm leaning toward Kaspersky. I will see how, it does and will give Avira a shot also. I will let you know what I think. :thumbsup: :flowers:
Thanks ever body for input.
David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#9 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Both provide great protection. AntiVir has slightly better detection, Kaspersky has a HIPS. If you're going to use an AV as you're only real-time protection Kaspersky should be a slightly better choice because of the HIPS. Though with a bit of common sense you shouldn't get infected no matter which one you choose.

What is a HIPS? I'm currently on say twenty something of the Kaspersky trial. Now you've thrown something into the mix that I'm curious about before I decide whether or not to purchase Kaspersky.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrusion-pre...stem#Host-based

Intrusion prevention system

http://www.kaspersky.com/kaspersky_internet_security

Edited by DaChew, 17 April 2009 - 12:08 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

HIPS : Host Intrusion Prevention System. This technology scans a program's actions based on predefined criteria and takes action to block the program. It is used to stay ahead of unknown malwares (to detect and block them without updating virus database)

HIPS based anti-virus generate prompt to the user. This is why the user needs to be advanced for making the best use of this technology.

Kaspersky uses HIPS.

Personally, I prefer Kaspersky over Avira. Avira has more false-detection rate compared to Kaspersky.
But for a common user, both antivirus are good enough.

#12 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,616 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:03 PM

Yes, the HIPS is very close to the same thing as a firewall, and may be why the standalone Kaspersky AV has a reputation for not getting along with third party firewalls. Are you going to trial the standalone AV or the Internet Security Suite? If you need a firewall or are interested in switching I would go with the suite. I ran KAV standalone for three or four years, but in the end wound up uninstalling third party firewalls and just going with Windows--and didn't have problems with infections.

I'm now using the free version of AnitVir because Kaspersky rarely found anything to do on my system so why pay money--knowledge of how to prevent infections in the first place is a lot cheaper.

A tip if you do go with KAV--look up USEICE. They are the American distributors and I got a better deal when I bought from them online. I don't think they give new customer discounts now, but on yearly subscriptions they always said were discounted--and much cheaper than, say, Norton. But the main thing is that you get phone support without having to call Russia--not sure if it's still free, but used to be. And their email support is also first rate.

Tennessee hillbilly huh? Where did you find shoes in Arkansas--we usually don't need them. :thumbsup: Also I had a great-uncle whose name was David Crockett--but Crockett wasn't his last name.

Edited by Papakid, 17 April 2009 - 01:05 PM.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#13 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Mine is David Crockett , 6th generation from the "MAN"....and NO I don't Live at the Alamo!!!
I like all of your advice. Some things to consider before I buy. If I can get it cheaper I will. My pay scale out here isn't great. LE. I just keep haveing problems with Norton's. I take it a lot of people do to! DaChew, Thanks for the sites that explains a lot for this Hill billy... Do you put the laces in the front,or back. Didn't get that info in ARK???? :thumbsup:

:flowers: :trumpet:

Thanks Again David C Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

#14 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

Do you put the laces in the front,or back. Didn't get that info in ARK????

That depends entirely on how much corn you have been drinking from the jar.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#15 DaveyCS

DaveyCS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:52 PM

I forgot one thing! I've been tied up and had a chance to do the program yet. When I run the uninstall by norton will it wipe out back ups it has made? if so do I ned to make one? I post in another site about saving the passwords. from this program! Unless you can answer? I want to save my pass words from 360 2.0! How????:thumbsup: :flowers:

And by the way Wens USE A LOT of KORN...... :trumpet:

Thanks Davey Crockett Sr

Davey Crockett Sr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users