Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

backing up my music folder?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 swearbyit

swearbyit

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:44 AM

hi there. recently i had an issue with my parents computer than ended with me having to wipe out and restore the entire system. ever since i've been taking more measures with my own computer to try and prevent similar problems that led to that. we lost all our files on that computer so it makes me nervous about having a problem with this computer, because i have almost 30 gb of music in my music folder. i use itunes and an ipod on windows xp.

i was wondering if anybody knew of a good way to back up these files. i know i can write the songs to discs through itunes, but that would take a box full of cds at least. then i thought about an external usb drive for a backup, but those cost at least $150 dollars which i definitely can't afford.

is there any way to compress my music folder so i can get all the files on one disc or is that not possible? any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

While compressing files you can reduce the size of them, but not in such way that it can be put on one or two disks. However, there is a simpler alternative, you can create a partition on your harddisk where you store your music. In case the OS has problems and needs to be reinstalled, you can reformat the main partition, while the other (where you stored your music) remains intact.
This tutorial explains more about harddisk partitions.
This tutorial explains how to create/change harddisk partitions.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users