Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing Disk Space Daily

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Lazyworm

Lazyworm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:56 PM

Hi, I recently installed Vista Ultimate x64. I have a 29GB partition for Vista right now.

First it was only a 20GB partition and I had 3.5GB free space, the next day I was down to 230MB so I re sized my partition and increased it to 29GB, it showed I had 6.9GB. This morning, it shows I have 1.3GB left. So in 2 days, I lost about 12GB of space.

From properties it shows I have used 17.5GB. I ran TreeSize and it shows a weird folder, name [File] in my C drive that has the other 12GB. I can't open the folder, gives me error: C:\ Class not registered. It doesn't even have a folder icon. See photo of TreeSize for what I mean. Anyone know what the folder is and/or know how I can recover that space back?

I have tried the system restore solution, but there was no system restore point. I used vssadmin but there was nothing there.

Posted Image

Edited by Lazyworm, 14 April 2009 - 12:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thumbtak

thumbtak

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:05 AM

It sounds like you could have a decompression bomb on your computer but I could be wrong.

#3 Lazyworm

Lazyworm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:31 AM

Hi Thumbtak, thanks for the reply. Googled Decompression Bomb, not much help or updated information on how to remove it. Any suggestions on how to remove it?

#4 thumbtak

thumbtak

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 08:56 AM

The first thing I would do is run an avast boot scan. I am unsure if it will work but it is worth a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users