Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting a protected file.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:49 AM

2.8 Ghz DELL Dimension 8300, 1 gig memory,80Gig HD,Win XP Home,SP2. Trying to delete a file that is apparently causing my PINNACLE video editing software to stop uninstalling (and/or reinstalling). "C:\...\Documents\My Videos is not accessable" "Access is denied". I am logged in as administrator. I tried to delete in safe mode also, "Access is denied" again! How do I delete this file??? HHHEEELLLPPP! ! ! ! THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:51 PM

The My Videos folder, in the My Documents folder in XP, along with My Albums, My Downloads, My eBooks, My Music, and My Pictures, if I'm not mistaken, are permanent folders created by XP, and can't be deleted.
Xp would just re-create it.

Post the exact problem you're having with PINNACLE, in the Audio and Video forum, and someone may be able to help you out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:23 PM

You can delete a protected file using DOS commands, by booting into 'Safe Mode', so long as you know exactly where the file is and what it's called.

Open a command prompt window by clicking Start>Run and type "cmd".
At the C:\<whatever> prompt navigate to the folder containing <file> using the CD command e.g. your prompt is:
C:\...\My Documents\> type "CD MY Videos" (no quotes) then the prompt will become:
C:\...\My Documents\My Videos\> you are now at the My Videos folder.

Assume the file is called file1.exe and it is in My Videos. then type:
"ATTRIB -R -A -S -H FILE1.EXE"
this makes the file a normal deletable file. Now you can type:
"DEL FILE1.EXE"
if there is no error message then file1.exe has been deleted.

Exit from the command prompt (type "EXIT") and see if the problem is fixed.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

You can't delete a file if its in use either.

See You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

Or you can always use killbox

download here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/spyware/KillBox.zip

Its a simple exe file, run it........navigate to the file you wish to delete
on the radio buttons, choose delete on next reboot. Press ok, then reboot your pc and the file is no more.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:36 PM

That sounds a lot easier than my old methods Techsomething! :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:08 PM

indeed, i always hated unregistering dll's because something would always go wrong. :thumbsup:

#8 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:09 AM

Problem resolved...What I did was while in Safe Mode, and as the Administrator, I right clicked on the folder and select properties. Clicked on the security tab, clicked on Administrators once to select it, and at the bottom, I checked the box for Full Control, clicked apply, then deleted the problem file. Then I was able to uninstall and reinstall my program! Thanks guys

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:18 AM

Thats great news donatello. Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you solved the problem. Perhaps others can learn from your experience. :thumbsup:

Cause 1: The file uses an ACL
You may not be able to delete a file if the file uses an Access Control List (ACL). To resolve this issue, change the permissions on the file. You may have to take ownership of the files to be able to change the permissions.

Administrators have the implicit ability to take ownership of any file even if they have not been explicitly granted any permission to the file. File owners have the implicit ability to modify file permissions even if they are not explicitly granted any permissions to the file. Therefore, you may have to take ownership of a file, give yourself permissions to delete the file, and then delete the file.

Is that what did it?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users