Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Distorted Icons in Drop-down menu only IE6

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 md2020

md2020

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

I'm running IE6 on an XP Media Center SP3 machine. Windows updates are all installed, current AV, etc.

In the last few days, I noticed that icons in my favorites drop-down menu (bookmarks) have been corrupted at random. I don't mean they've changed to the default ie icon--they're all the ie icon and I want it that way. Their appearance has changed, looks like they are a little smaller with poor resolution. As a test, I deleted some of the bookmarks that had the higher-res icon, and then went to the web sites and added the pages back to the favorites, and the icons appear corrupted. I don't think it has to do with the creation dates of the bookmarks however, because some recent ones are normal as well as some older ones. Again, this is only in the drop down menu of the favorites. Nor does it have to do with when I've visited--some links I haven't touched in at least a year and a half have corrupted icons. When I click on the favorites button on the toolbar and the window splits and shows the bookmarks, the icons are fine.

I did a bunch of checking for malware--see my post "Trojan Remnant?" in the Am I Infected forum--and it would seem that I'm clean.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar problems, and what they've done about it.

Should I go ahead and upgrade to IE8? I've seen the Firefox v. IE thread, and am considering that too...

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users