Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MiniVan suggestions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

We are expecting another addition to our family, and I am looking for advice on buying a new minivan. I am looking for something 2-3 years old that will be a good family car(3 kids). I like the Pontiac Montana. Any other suggestions? I am not rich, so don't recommend the most expensive van that you can think of. :thumbsup:

Thanks. :flowers:
JC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:16 PM

I don't know anything about minivans (thought you used dogsleds in Canada?) but I'd like to send my congratulations on your good news! :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:13 PM

Hi Joshuacat. Congratulations on the new addition. :thumbsup:

Don't know about the good ones but stay away from the Dodge/Chrysler ones. Bad trannys and cheaply built. Look great up top but there's nothing to them underneath.

I've always been a GM fan. I'm also a big fan of Phil Edmunstons Lemon-Aid books. They can tell you about common problems experienced with different makes and also the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) that the car companies put out to the dealers. These are, in effect, secret warranties. If you know about them and you scream loud enough, you can get work done for free. A case in point. My mother took her 12 year old Oldsmobile to a dealer and said fix the brakes. They took her for $1200. I hit the roof. (This car was in showroom condition in spite of its age).Two weeks later a rear wheel cylinder popped out. I took a look at the Lemon-Aid book and found that when that car was new, it had a recall and they corrected a problem with the rear wheel cylinders. I went to the dealer and told them that I wanted proof they had fixed that particular car. They couldn't prove it and were forced to fix the wheel cylinder for free. $650 of free work. Fixed those #&^%*#@$.

My point is, either buy the book or check it out in the library before you buy something. You can become aware of common problems in a make, like head gaskets blowing, or brake problems or a problem with a sensor or whatever, so if something does go wrong, at least you have an idea of whats up.

What part of the country are you in? Around here, all wheel drive is a big feature. Thats for when its too snowy to get the dogs hooked up. :flowers:

Edited by Leurgy, 18 June 2005 - 08:15 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:28 PM

Congrats on the new addition! I'm allergic to Minivans, so i canna help ya.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:56 PM

Rimmer/Leurgy/efizzer:Thanks for the congrats and comments so far.

I'm also a big fan of Phil Edmunstons Lemon-Aid books. They can tell you about common problems experienced with different makes and also the TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) that the car companies put out to the dealers.

Good suggestion Leurgy, Thanks. :thumbsup:

What part of the country are you in? Around here, all wheel drive is a big feature. Thats for when its too snowy to get the dogs hooked up. lmfao.gif

I am in Southern Ontario, near Toronto. Not a lot of snow down here....well..compared to the rest of the country north of here. Rimmer/Leurgy, being a cat, I am not a big fan of dogs. :flowers:
JC

#6 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:41 PM

Congrats to your family on your new addition to the family.

Now with advice on your Minivan: I would stick with GM cars (they are the best). the Pontiac Montana is a pretty good minivan but it is smaller then others. The safari (GMC) is bigger and gives you more leg room but it also dosn't handle the wind that well :thumbsup:. I would NOT buy a ford minivan they break done way to often

Ford=

Found
On
Road
Dead

-OR-

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

Make sure when you find a car check the Kelly blue book value. (Kelly Blue Book Website) to make sure you are not getting ripped off. You may also want to do a carfax report. (checks on lemons and demage and theft, fire, mileage)(Carfax Website I think it cost abpout $7.99 last time I checked

Edited by frankie12, 18 June 2005 - 09:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users