Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delayed Write Failure- Western Digital Mybook 640GB USb drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wu125

wu125

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:51 PM

Oh man. I just bought this thing too! It's a WD Mybook 640 GB external USb hard drive. I just plugged it in and, after formatting it to NTFS, started gleefully putting files on it, hoping that it would act like my old 250GB external.

Okay, so I've been loading up a few things on this drive. It's pretty much fresh out the box, has 420 gigs of free space on it.

Today, after loading up some more files on it, it craps out and gives me the "delayed write error," where a little yellow triangle pops up on the taskbar, and i cannot access any files on the Mybook. This is bad because this drive contains the backups for my C:\ and E:\ drives, and E:\ is pretty darn close to dying.

I've also checked the device manager, where SCSI controller has just gotten a yellow question mark. The Driver's instance ID is acpi/pnpA000/4&3e0574AA&0.

Checkdisk and Defrag were unable to start on it.

How ironic. I named it the Ark, and it turns out that everything on it is damn close to sinking with it.

MAJOR MAJOR EDIT:

Well well well! Sixteen seconds after i posted this, i found something.

On the drive, rightclick and go to properties

Then go to Hardware, select the USB drive, and then go properties>policies and configure it for Performance (the second option).

It seems to be working so far. Hopefully it won't conk out again.

EDIT AGAIN:

Well it seems to have gotten WORSE. Half of the files are corrupted, and now it's asking me to format the drive.

OH jeez.

T-T-T-T-TRIPLE EDIT!

What the heck?!?! The CABLE? I just swapped out the stock cable for another one and now it's working fine?!?!

Data corruption is minimal, and what's been corrupted was corrupted during the little freak-out it had.

Jeez louise! WD better start packing some better hardware with their drives!

I'll keep posted if things go south again.

Edited by wu125, 13 April 2009 - 10:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 25 April 2009 - 09:16 PM

Anything man-made...is subject to quality-control problems, failures, etc.

Including us human beings :thumbsup:...maybe I should make that "especially" rather than "including" :huh:.

Delayed write failures on my systems are usually loose connections.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users