Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive, causes computer to be slow at some points.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:29 PM

Ok, I recently installed a second hard drive. This one is not the main one and does not have the operating system (Windows XP) installed on it. I use this one mainly for media.
My problem is that whenever I am downloading or editing music in this hard drive, it causes my computer to lag and run slower than usual.
I am not sure if the problem happened because I installed the hard drive incorrectly or something. Any help would be good, I already googled my problem but was unable to find anything.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:49 PM

Not all hard drives are the same speed.
If you have a 7200RPM drive as a Master & installed a 5400RPM drive as a Slave the computer will definatly slow down when using the Slave drive.

Are both drives IDE , on the same cable ?
Are the jumpers on the drives set for master & slave ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 sirmarksalot

sirmarksalot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Not all hard drives are the same speed.
If you have a 7200RPM drive as a Master & installed a 5400RPM drive as a Slave the computer will definatly slow down when using the Slave drive.

Are both drives IDE , on the same cable ?
Are the jumpers on the drives set for master & slave ?

Both are on the same cable. Yeah, both of them are IDE. And I am pretty positive that they are correctly set to Master and Slave, would it even work if that part was messed up?
Here is some info...

My computer is a
Dell Dimension 3000
Windows XP
The computer is 5 years old roughly, but the hard drive having problems is only a couple months old.
The main and good hard drive is 80GB. The second one is 160GB, and it has 115GB free space.
This is the second hard drive. "Western Digital WD1600AAJB Caviar SE 160GB Hard Drive". I bought it from TigerDirect if you wanted to see it, i tried linking directly to it earlier but it didn't work.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:30 PM

It's a 7200RPM drive so speed shouldn't be an issue.

On the jumper subject, a swecond drive can be jumpered as either Slave or CS [Cable Select] .
Sometimes a drive will work better on one setting then it will the other.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:35 PM

check jumpers to be sure, this may be old school but master should be at the end of IDE cable and slave in the middle. did you format the drive. download WD diagnostics from their web site and test.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users