Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Event Viewer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:37 PM

:thumbsup: Reading some topics here and trying them I discovered that I can't open Windows Help and Support because service is not running. Using the Start button/ Help and Support . I get a new window. (Windows cannot find "helpctr.exe" Question, is it a good thing to have and if so how do I open it up for use.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:43 PM

Hi, go to the run box and type in>services.msc>this will open the services console>sort it by name>go to help and support>right click properties>start up type should be set to automatic>then click on start.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:19 AM

Thanks Monty007 for getting back. I did what you asked and I can't find help and support any where in services.msc or any thing that is close to looking like it. I ran a search and found nothing. It's hiding some where in this darn computer. Would set programs access to default do any thing good.I'm the only one that uses this computer. Looked in my C/drive and found Help/Support and went to read only and that didn't help. Some had no check marks at all.

Edited by Layback Bear, 15 April 2009 - 05:21 AM.

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:00 PM

I got services again and found help and support and set it to auto and restarted it again. No luck, I can't Start, Help and Support and open the program. The little hour glass blinks a couple of times and nothing happens. I checked services and it is set at automatic, is this correct. I have also ticked restart with out any luck.

Edited by Layback Bear, 11 May 2009 - 11:12 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,542 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

FWIW: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555472

Note that the suggested fix is a registry edit. Use care when doing so...and always back up the registry before proceeding.

Demystifying the Windows Registry - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/...l74.html#backup

ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html

Louis

#6 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thanks for getting back hamluis. I have went to the M/S site and did what they said and it didn't help.

#7 Green Hornet

Green Hornet

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

Noticed the title was Event Viewer. The Discussion was all about Help and Support.
It confused me. There is a file called Eventviewer. Start - run - type eventvwr.msc-click OK
Columbus, Ohio

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:06 PM

My mistake. It is help and support is missing. Problem; unable to open. It's fixed now by going back to a restore point. Some how, some way it wouldn't open until I did a restore. I don't know how it happened. I have spent a lot of time emailing back and forth with M/S support doing all the things they asked. Mr. Qu at M/S was a lot of help and never gave up.

#9 TallyHo

TallyHo

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:57 AM

keep this handy somewhere Mr. Bear, just in case!

cheers!!!

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rebuildhelp.htm

#10 Layback Bear

Layback Bear
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 05:29 PM

Did all of that with the help of M/S on line support. We had emails back and forth for over a month. For what ever reason there was no help there. To understand the best I can tell. My computer works fine but has no HELP AND SUPPORT. I'm thinking this wouldn't bother most people. I have H/S on line but not in my computer off of the start. I have it now by restoring back to Feb of 2009 but it does not tell me why. I have completed all the anti-every thing which I have learned from this site; no help. In normal and safe mode. I would like to give you all a conclusion and answer of what caused this but I can't. I don't know. To the best of my knowledge either does M/S; because I gave them complete access to my computer at that time. When and if I ever figure it out I will get back. A lot of hours spent and I still don't know WHY!! Thank you all for your help and concern. Please close this subject if you think that is the best thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users