Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless problem after reinstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 golpher247

golpher247

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:07 PM

Hi there,

I just did a total reinstall of windows XP. I have an IBM so I used the "access IBM" button and everything worked better then expected.

I do have one problem. I have a cisco wireless card on the laptop and things aren't the same that they used to be. We have a wireless router but it was provided by my wife's work so it is all secure. To get it set up I have to click "setup a wireless network for a home or small office" under the network tasks window. The problem is that I can't see it. I click on "view wirelss connections" but I don't get the left hand side stuff.

I'm sure it is just a view setting or something but I can't figure it out. Sorry for the pathetic inquiry but I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

Hello golpher247,

Since you can't even see the router in "View Wireless Connections", I suspect that part of the security established by your wife's work was to disable broadcasting of the SSID (Service Set Identifier, also known as the wireless Network Name). Since you just reinstalled XP on your computer, all "knowledge" of the security settings for your wireless network have probably been erased (on your computer). You will probably need to manually enter the SSID and the wireless security pass phrase/key (WEP, WPA, WPA-2 etc. pass word/phrase/key) to reestablish the wireless connection from your computer to the router.

Ask your wife, or your wife's work, how much security has been enabled in the router and what the appropriate values are. Alternatively, if you or your wife can access the router's configuration pages (from another computer), some (or all) of that information may be plainly visible (e.g., the SSID). The router's configuration pages can be accessed by typing a manufacturer-unique URL into your browser. The URL is usually something like http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1, again, depending on the make and model of the router you have. You will also need to know the router configuration User Name and Password to access the configuration pages. These may be factory defaults, or they may have been changed by your wife's company. Check with: a) the manual for your particular router, b) your wife, or c) your wife's work.

Edited by M..., 13 April 2009 - 07:22 PM.

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:06 AM

The problem is that I can't see it. I click on "view wirelss connections" but I don't get the left hand side stuff.

I'm sure it is just a view setting or something but I can't figure it out. Sorry for the pathetic inquiry but I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by not getting the left hand side stuff but if you mean what I think you do, that you do not have the common tasks panel on the left side of the folder, then it could be that you have the folder option checked for "Use Windows classic folders" instead of "Show common tasks in folders". That can be changed by clicking on Tools on the toolbar of a folder and then selecting "Folder Options". This setting is in the first set of setting on the General tab, which is usually the page that will be displayed when folder options opens.

#4 golpher247

golpher247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

I've attached a shot of my screen when I click on wireless network connection properties. It doesn't look like that of any other version of XP that I have had before. Usually on the left hand side there is a "network tasks" pane that I can create a wireless network. I know how to navigate from there but I can't seem to get it on this version of XP.

I have posted another topic on my problem where there may be more explanations.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/219357/wireless-connection-setup/

I know I'm a novice at this but I can't figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files

#5 golpher247

golpher247
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I've figured it out and it was such a simple thing.

For anyone who cares, I had the original version of XP on there. When I updated to service pack 2, everything looked and worked correctly. Thanks for the help!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users