Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Laptop startup issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 scareduser

scareduser

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:43 PM

Hello. I'm new in the community. I have a nasty problem and I'm blaming it on the hardware.

As with many PC's, mine has trouble booting. When I push the POWER button it starts on a blank screen (not even the backlight is turned on), checks the CD-ROM, the fan starts working and, after a few seconds (5-20), it dies. Then it starts again on the same procedure only to die again and repeat until I shut it down the ugly way. When I restart or Hibernate from Windows or Ubuntu it happens too.
Sometimes, when I hold down F8, it boots. Sometimes it doesn't, so I've come to think it's my imagination (although I still try it... it seems to work). Once my PC makes it to the OS, the risk is for it to get stuck or to crash horribly. Horribly means my monitor freezing on crazy, random colors, lines, dots... something like TV static. This, though, doesn't seem to kill the PC because I could shut down the laptop (normally, but blindly) once. If this doesn't happen then my OS will run smoothly, as if nothing. After some good time running, the PC can be restarted or hibernated/shut down and turned on again without trouble (but only before it cools down completely, say, before 1 or 2 hours).

Important (I think) things to note:
  • The intensity of the ON indicator light is very low compared to the "Busy" and the "Charging" one.
  • I have Windows Vista Home Premium Edition and Ubuntu 8.10. The PC is an HP Pavilion dv6000 with AMD Turion 64x2 processor.
  • When in Windows I sometimes have 6 or 7 updates pending of installation. When I shut it down, Windows tries (always unsuccesfuly, apparently) to install these updates. This is the only thing that makes me think of a software problem.
  • I use a generic charger. It works very well, but I can't help thinking it may have damaged the motherboard.
  • My battery is old and the PC doesn't last more than 30 minutes on battery power.
  • Safe Mode and startup repair do not fix the problem.
  • This all happened out of nowhere. No software installed, no changes made.
Measures taken:
  • I changed my anti-virus software and ran a full scan. I ran a full scan with another anti-spyware tool, too. Nothing wrong.
  • I opened up my laptop (no guarantee available, anyway) and checked the POWER button. Nothing wrong (apparently).
  • I was advised to run COMBOFIX. I discovered bleepingcomputer and, after some reading, decided to post a topic first.
Any help is greatly appreciated. I have no idea whatsoever of what's going and many people say my motherboard is dying... I have not lost faith in it :thumbsup: .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:19 PM

If it's having problems before beginning to boot an OS, then it's probably a hardware issue, as you mentioned.

I'd hate to sound like everyone else, but it sounds like the motherboard is failing.

The only thing I can think of is to test your ram. However, you said you haven't made any changes, and it's unusual for ram to just go bad all of a sudden. First, test with only one stick in at a time. Try both sticks individually. Afterward, Scan your memory for errors with memtest for a few hours. memtest86.com . You'll need to download the iso file and burn it as a disc image. Here is a guide on how to do that: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/ . You'll then have to boot off the disc.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:13 AM

You also mentioned Ubuntu
Are you dual-booting or is this a Live Ubuntu CD?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users