Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with memory on mobo

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trusake

trusake

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

I'm trying to add more ram on my computer, my mobo is an Intel dq965gf, and on its website it says it supoorts "4 GB maximum total system memory using DDR2 800 DIMMs" so I figured I put 4 sticks of 1gb with 800mhz, right?
however, a note came with the mobo that says "DDR2-800Mhz with 1Gbit technology are not supported"

So I asked Intel support, which one is it? does it support 1gb ram with 800mhz stick or doesn't?
so they answered back with:
"In regards to your question, please be aware that DDR2-800Mhz modules of 1GB (size) are fully supported on the motherboard, for a maximum of 4GB of RAM. However, DDR2-800Mhz with 1Gbit technology are not supported. Usually, 1Gbit technology modules are 2GB (size). In other words, a 2x2GB or a 4x2GB RAM configuration will not be supported if the modules are DDR2-800Mhz."

wtf does that mean? just made me more confused.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:52 PM

It's all pretty clear, IMO, looking at the following detail.

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/...b/CS-025978.htm

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 13 April 2009 - 04:59 PM.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

"n regards to your question, please be aware that DDR2-800Mhz modules of 1GB (size) are fully supported on the motherboard, for a maximum of 4GB of RAM. However, DDR2-800Mhz with 1Gbit technology are not supported. Usually, 1Gbit technology modules are 2GB (size). In other words, a 2x2GB or a 4x2GB RAM configuration will not be supported if the modules are DDR2-800Mhz."

Clear as a bell & makes perfect sense to me!

"In regards to your question, please be aware that DDR2-800Mhz modules of 1GB (size) are fully supported on the motherboard, for a maximum of 4GB of RAM

You can use 4 1GB sticks.

"owever, DDR2-800Mhz with 1Gbit technology are not supported. Usually, 1Gbit technology modules are 2GB (size). In other words, a 2x2GB or a 4x2GB RAM configuration will not be supported if the modules are DDR2-800Mhz."

Simply put, 2GB sticks won't work.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 trusake

trusake
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:21 PM

gotcha
so,
1gb - 512 on each side will work
2gb - 1gb on each side won't work

Edited by trusake, 13 April 2009 - 07:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users