Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having a networking problem.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 acesovereights

acesovereights

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

I have a M-series gateway and also a linksys router (wireless G).

Problem: Wont find the router sometimes then sometimes it will be connected. Sometimes when you restart it, it will be working again. Sometimes it will work if you go under the Device manager and disable it and turn it back on it works. But, doesnt seem like theres a reason why its losing connection and gaining connection.

Time: It has not done this the whole time, i have had this router for acouple of years and other computers dont seem to have a problem connecting and staying connected. My computer has not always done this either, it seems as if this has just started about a few months ago.

Sometimes when i hit diagnose for connection problems, it tells me to turn my wireless connection on. I will turn it on, on the side and the function F2 key. Doesnt seem to help.

Its just very odd because sometimes it works flawlessly and sometimes i cant get it to connect to save my life any information would be helpful i wasnt sure what to search for.

Thanks -Zack

Edited by The weatherman, 13 April 2009 - 04:09 PM.
Moved to a more appropriate forum. TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:33 PM

I would suggest doing an AV/AS scan... The products I would suggest for AS, would be Spyware Terminator, or Adaware... For AV, I would suggest Avast, AVG, or a Trend-Micro product...

If the problem persists afterwords... Let me know...

#3 dr2i4ve

dr2i4ve

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:33 PM

What Windows operating system are you using? I'll occasionally have problems with my Windows Vista going to sleep / hibernate and coming back on with an active wireless connection. I'll have to disable and re-enable the wireless connection in Network Connections.

Not sure what kind of wireless card you're using, but perhaps you could update the drivers. Intel cards can use the windows wireless utility or Intel utility. Run Windows Updates and see if hardware updates are available if you're unsure.

#4 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 12:27 AM

In Windows XP the wireless services are handled by WZC service. Usually a computer comes along with another device manager to handle wireless connection. As a results, sometimes it occurs that you have two services running at the same time trying to handle wireless connection.The problem with this is, that the services interfere with each other cause the wireless connection to drop regularly.

If this could be your case, disable the service that comes along with your computer, and let WZC do the job, or do it the otherway around.

To access WZC, go to Run, type services.msc, press enter. A new window will pop up. Find windows zero configuration (WZC).
Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#5 acesovereights

acesovereights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well i am not home at the moment but i have AVG already and done scans nothing comes up, will use Adaware when i get home.

I have Vista currently installed.

I will get back with the wireless network card later tonight.

The weird thing is sometimes ill be surfing the web and it will do it. But, it just seems so random when it goes out and theres not a certain thing i can do to fix it sometimes restart works, sometimes disabling and enabling the network card works, sometimes it just comes back on i will have more information tonight when i get home

Thanks for all the replys

-Zack

#6 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:12 PM

Yes you might want to reinstall the network drivers as the last resort. Do you have windows firewall switched on?

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 01:26 PM

Windows firewall usually will not have an effect on the connection... Though re-installing the drivers could be a good idea...

Please update me after you have done a scan with Adaware...

#8 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:10 PM

Windows firewall usually will not have an effect on the connection...

@burn1337: I agree, what I meant with windows firewall, is that : he or she could check what programs currently have exceptions in Windows Firewall. If there are some weird exceptions, he or she could remove the weird exception, and the "suspicious" applications would get a ban. Not sure if this affects connection, but is just an idea.

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:34 AM

Patbox - That is a good idea, though if it is due to malicious code, blocking it will help after getting connected... Though it could help with keeping it connected, if the malicious code in question is causing back doors...

#10 acesovereights

acesovereights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

First off sorry it took so long to get back on here and reply.

Ok i have ran the Ad-Aware and it found nothing.
Wireless Network card
Marvell TOPDOG ™ PCI-Express 802.11n Wireless (EC85)
I am on a Gateway M-6752

Windows Vista Home Premium SP1
I checked the exceptions and there were some old programs i turned off i dont think this is going to stop it but it may didnt look like anything that i didnt know what was.
I will get back with you though if it does i turned pretty much everything off that i didnt need.

Edit i have wrtg something router i will look at it
Its a linksys wireless G

Thanks for all the help guys
-Zack

Edited by acesovereights, 16 April 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#11 acesovereights

acesovereights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

It is still doing it some. It hasnt done it today which is pretty good but it done it last night. If you need anymore information just tell me.

Question 1: Does this sound like a hardware or software error?

Wondering if i took it back to factory default sometime if this would clear the problem.

Thanks -Zack

#12 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:18 AM

Question 1: Does this sound like a hardware or software error?
Wondering if i took it back to factory default sometime if this would clear the problem.

One can not tell for sure, but I VOTE FOR SOFTWARE. In my view, restoring like-new default is the best way in my view to get it fixed.

But what did you do, to minimize the times the computer disconnects? I recall, you first said it was happening quite often. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users