Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Taxes!!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Poll: Tax Returns Are Due April 15 (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Have You Filed your Taxes?

1. Yes, Long Ago (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Yes, Just Recently (3 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. I'm Doing Them As I Type This (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

4. I'll Do Them Tomorrow, Really. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. Wait... It's April Already?! (1 votes [8.33%])

6. I Don't Recognize The Government's Authority To Tax Me (1 votes [8.33%])

7. I Don't Live In America. I guess that means "No" then. (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

April 15 is just around the corner, and for those of us in the USA that means the Tax Man Cometh.

All tax returns must be postmarked by no later than 11:59:59 PM on April 15, otherwise big brother will come after you (remember, they got Al Capone on tax evasion!)

Some filers may qualify for free electronic filing through one of several service providers. For Federal tax returns, see http://www.irs.gov/efile/ for more information. Check with your state's tax authority for State tax e-filing.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:24 PM

Finally finished and filed mine yesterday. been working on them for 2 months and still owed Uncle Sam.

Posted Image

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Got my refund direct deposited last week
Took about 4 weeks
Settling my mom's estate, I thought I was going to pay through the nose. I lucked out and had them withhold enough
Couldn't have come at a better time
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

Bit different here, If you do your tax returns by post you have to fill it in and send them off by the end of October (I think) if you do it online then it is around the end of January.

So for example, the end of October 2008 was the last day that people could claim by post for the tax year 2007/2008, the end of January 2009 was the last day for it online.

Is the tax year different in the US?

The UK's starts in April till the end of March.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

The tax year here is the same as the calendar year: Jan. 1 to Dec. 31. However the final deadline to file your taxes is April 15 of the following calendar year. So, April 15, 2009 is the deadline for tax year 2008.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:57 PM

I've decided to become a registered Democrat & quit paying taxes [unless Obama decides to appoint me to an important govement posistion] .
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Heh, I couldn't pick any of your poll options. I finished my taxes a few weeks ago, but I don't count that as either "long ago" nor "just recently". However, I did just today finish helping someone else with her taxes. We've been working on hers since I finished mine. Now we're on to amending her 2007 taxes.

I did my dad's in January. His are easy. That would go under "long ago". :thumbsup:

~ OB

Edit: Often businesses have what is called a "fiscal year" which is different from the calendar year. For example, where I worked the fiscal year was from Oct. 1 - Sept. 30. If the fiscal year is different from the calendar year, then the filing deadline is different. For more information see: http://www.planningtips.com/taxcal/fiscal....amp;Tip_ID=6825 and http://www.irs.gov/publications/p509/ar02.html Individuals, however, must file by the April 15 deadline.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 13 April 2009 - 08:14 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,530 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:14 PM

Hi, my name is Timothy Geitner the US Treasury secretary. I selected.. I Don't Recognize The Government's Authority To Tax Me
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:22 PM

I voted long ago. hehee I am lucky and a friend of my mom will do mine for free. Once I discovered what my return was going to be I was delighted. As it turned out, I paid too much. Imagine that! lol I didn't make a real lot of money over the year, and I claimed 0 the whole time so I overpaid hehehe

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:29 PM

The guy who did my parents taxes, did mine for free! I was relieved. This past year I got my first job, and now I know why people are always complaining about taxes :thumbsup: . At least I got all federal and state back!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

Where's my CPA?
Taxes? I think I've overpaid...

It's the 13th going into the 14th of April here.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:13 AM

I did mine online the first week of February and had my refunds directly deposited into my account. I got the refund from the IRS 6 days after I filed and the one from my state 8 days after. I really like this online filing, it was free and easy and took very little time to actually get my money :thumbsup:

Edited by Stang777, 14 April 2009 - 02:14 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users