Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hosted pop3 mailboxes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff777

Geoff777

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:46 PM

Hi all,

I have my site hosted with 123-reg.co.uk
The package came with 25 pop mailboxes.
All i want to do is to be able to bring in and send from using my email program (Windows mail, my OS is Vista basic)

The following is a discussion l have had with 123-reg support, ( my aplogies, it does go on a while )

"Ihave 26 mailboxes, 25 came with my hosting package and 1 i bought seperately.
I want to assign two mailboxes personalized email addresses. i.e,

toonie-2 admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk
toonie-3 sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk

And then bring mail to these two email addresses in via my Windows mail program.
My OS is Windows Vista basic.

Can you advise please?

Many thanks

Geoff"

The respone was:

"Dear Geoff Toon,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on the 10th April 2009.

Please find below a guide on how to set up email forwarding for your domain name to both an existing email address and a pop box.

To set up your mail forwarding, please follow these instructions:

1) You will need to login to the account using the "login to your control panel" button. This is located on the top right hand side of the page. If you can see the "you have new messages" page, please scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click the "go back to the main control panel" link.

You should now be at a new page.

* Using the scroll bar on the right hand side of your web browser. You should now be presented with the blue section and a dropdown box that contains a domain name. Next to this dropdown box is a button that says "modify domain".

* Select the domain you wish to modify from the dropdown box

* Click the "modify domain" button.

3) You should now be at a new page.

* Select the option you require: Update Email Forwarding

Under "Add mail forwarding":

Left box: Enter the user name you want before the "@yourdomain.com" bit;
i.e: info, enquiries, or webmaster, etc. (the dot '.' between the two boxes represents: "@yourdomain.com").

Right box: Enter the address where you want the emails to be forwarded to. This needs to be a valid address (something@ISProvider.com) OR your pop box username (i.e.: username-1, username-2, etc). In case you are forwarding your emails to your pop boxes, please enter the pop box username followed by:

'@pophost.123-reg.co.uk'.

Example:

I want to forward anything sent to:

Webmaster (@mydomain.com) to 1)me@hotmail.com
2)username-1@pophost.123-reg.co.uk

This way all the emails sent to webmaster@mydomain.com will go to two places: my hotmail account and my first pop box.

To setup the catch all email address:

This is pretty straight forward. Simply read what each option does and choose the one that will suit your needs.

If we can be of any further help with regard to this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us."

My response was:

"Hi,

I still cannot bring mail in!!
l have set up email forwarding to forward mail addressed to sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk and admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk to my gpt1@btinternet.com address.
I have recieved no mail sent to either.

All l want to do is use two of my mailboxes, toonie-2 and toonie-3 to set up admin and sales repectively.

I would like to set up two new email accounts in my email program, Windows mail (i am using Vista)

Can you please explain how i can do this. I want users who access my site to be able to email me."

Their response was:

"Dear Geoff,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on 10th April 2009.

I can confirm that all settings for your domain to work with our mail servers are in place.

I can also confirm that there are no email forwarding rules set in place for the domain uk-advertisements.co.uk.

What you need to do is to set up the mail forwarding to the POP-Boxes as mentioned by my colleague Faiza earlier.

That will resolve the issue."

My response

"Hi Patrick,

i did forward aqdmin@uk-advertisements.co.uk
and sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk to gpt1@btiinternet.com

But tests carried out by various family members failed to bring any mail in!

And as l inderstand it to send mail out from my windows mail email programfrom admin and sales l need to add these two accounts. Is that possible?

I bought admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk seperately from the 25 pop boxes that were included within my hosting package, and was able to add that account to my email program. It did work fine until the other 25 boxes were added.

As l have said previously, all i want to do is assign admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk to toonie-2 mailbox, then add this to my email program so i can bring in mail ti admin and send mail from admin from my email program. Likewise for sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk wityh toonie-3.

Can you tell me if this is possible please??

If it is can l have instructions on how to do so successfully?

At the moment l have no email forwarding in place, i have removed it."

Their response

"Dear Geoff,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on 10th April 2009

I have checked your email forwarding, there are no specified users set. As it stands all email is set to fail for your domain.

Please find below a guide on how to set up email forwarding for your domain name to both an existing email address and a pop box. Please also read http://www.123-reg.co.uk/support/faq.pl?display=Email for more information.

To set up your mail forwarding, please follow these instructions:

1) You will need to login to the account using the "login to your control panel" button. This is located on the top right hand side of the page. If you can see the "you have new messages" page, please scroll down to the very bottom of the page and click the "go back to the main control panel" link.

You should now be at a new page.

* Using the scroll bar on the right hand side of your web browser. You should now be presented with the blue section and a dropdown box that contains a domain name. Next to this dropdown box is a button that says "modify domain".

* Select the domain you wish to modify from the dropdown box

* Click the "modify domain" button.

3) You should now be at a new page.

* Select the option you require: Update Email Forwarding

Under "Add mail forwarding":

Left box: Enter the user name you want before the "@yourdomain.com" bit;
i.e: info, enquiries, or webmaster, etc. (the dot '.' between the two boxes represents: "@yourdomain.com").

Right box: Enter the address where you want the emails to be forwarded to. This needs to be a valid address (something@ISProvider.com) OR your pop box username (i.e.: username-1, username-2, etc). In case you are forwarding your emails to your pop boxes, please enter the pop box username followed by:

'@pophost.123-reg.co.uk'.

Example:

I want to forward anything sent to:

Webmaster (@mydomain.com) to 1)me@hotmail.com
2)username-1@pophost.123-reg.co.uk

This way all the emails sent to webmaster@mydomain.com will go to two places: my hotmail account and my first pop box.

To setup the catch all email address:

This is pretty straight forward. Simply read what each option does and choose the one that will suit your needs.

If we can be of any further help with regard to this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us."

My response:

"Thanks for your reply.
I know how to set up email forwarding, your colleague has already provided me with instructions.

What l want to do is this:

Set up two email addresses:

1. I want to use one of my 26 mail boxes: toonie -2 and assign it the address admin@ my domain name.

and then add this email address as a new account in my email program ( i have OS Vista basic and
my email program is Windows mail). This means l should be able to receive and send emails from
admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk through my email progrmam (windows mail).

2. As above but this time l want to use toonie-3 and assign it to the address sales@my domain name.

Is this possible??

I keep repeating myself and am getting the same response!!

if you are not able to assist perhaps you can supply me with a phone number so i can make my
request clear on a telephone to a real person!!"

Their response:

"Dear Geoff,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on 12th April 2009.

The solution to your query is

a) Set up the email forwarding as mentioned by my colleagues earlier.
:flowers: Set up the Windows Mail client to download mails from the Pop-boxes

The settings for the same are

Display Name: The name that you want to display to the world
Email address: The email address that you want to display to the world.(i.e admin@your domain name, etc)
Incoming server: pophost.123-reg.co.uk
Outgoing server: the SMTP server of your ISP (please note that we do not provide IMAP or SMTP support)
Account name: the name of the pop-box (ie toonie-2 or toonie-3)
Password: Password for the pop-box.

Please note that sending emails from Windows Mail will be through the SMTP server of your ISP and you might need to get those settings from them.

My response

"Still not able to send or receive mail through my email program.
To date l have:

Set up my email forwarding, admin and sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk to toonie-2 and
toonie-3@pophost.123-reg.co.uk respectively. (Please see attached file)

I have also set up two new accounts in my Windows mail program:

sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk and admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk.

I have used Incoming mail pop3 server : pophost.123-reg.co.uk
Outgoing mail server SMTP: mail.btinternet.com

My outgoing server works fine on all other email accounts apart from 123-reg.

please see attached files of screenshots for my settings.

I have businness cards, adverts, and other promotional material i cannot use yet because my 123-reg email addresses are on them and they don't work

Once more, please advise, suggest or otherwise help."

Their response:

"Dear Geoff,

Thank you for contacting 123-reg on 12th April 2009.

I can confirm that your email service is working correctly, you may also view your emails via Web Mail at webmail.123-reg.co.uk.

To setup 123-reg Webmail:

Please login to your 123-reg control panel (memberís login). Now scroll down to the email section and click on the Webmail link.

Enter your pop box username and password.

Interface: Select "basic" or if you are using Internet Explorer or Firefox select "Advanced"

Click on "Login"

I would suggest you to send yourself a test email from an outside account to see if everything works. Refresh your web mail page and the test email should be there.

You are now ready to send and receive email via web mail!

Please note: To change any of your webmail account setup such as your email alias etc. please go to the "preferences" option on the tool bar and click on "account preferences".

My response:

"Hi Ricky,
I can confirm my email is not working correctly!!

I cannot receive test emails, neither can l send emails!!
I continue to get a login error when l try to send mail out from my email program through sales or admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk (please see attached screenshot).

Help please!!"

Their response:

"Thank you for contacting 123-reg on 12th April 2009.

As your attachment clearly shows you have received my test messages today, please contact your Internet Service Provider in regards to issues sending email.

My response:

HiRicky.

Why can't l receive emails from anyone else!!

Their response:

Dear Geoff,

Thank you for contacting 123 Reg Support on 13th April 2009

I can confirm that you have the below Email Forwarding setup,

admin@uk-advertisements.co.uk Forwards To toonie-2@pophost.123-reg.co.uk
sales@uk-advertisements.co.uk Forwards To toonie-3@pophost.123-reg.co.uk

Please can you login to Web Mail as I suggested and you will see that all your test emails will be there.

webmail.123-reg.co.uk

If we can be of any further help with regard to this or any other matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.

My response:

Hi Ricky,

I can see i'm never going to be able to use admin and sales to send from my email program.
I'm a little disappointed to say the least!!

However some thing is better than nothing.

Can lalso set up forwarding to send both of these accounts to gpt1@btinternet.com? So l can at least receive email into my email program with out the necessity to log in to web mail each time to retrieve??

Many Thanks

Another one from me!!
Hi Ricky,

I have just logged in to my webmail account for toonie-2 (admin)
and guess what!!
Nothing in my inbox!
Not quite what l expected. can you help please??

I would like this sorted finally
if you cannot help can you offer me a phone number so l may discuss this instead of going back and forth on here!!!!!!

You get the idea guys? :thumbsup:

Can anyone tell me how l can achieve my aim to set up two of the 26 mailboxes l have so i can receive and send mail from my email program after assigning email addresses to them?

Many, many thanks.
Geoff

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 04:54 AM

Anyone??
Geoff

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 07:26 AM

May I suggest a more succinct description of the problem? I don't have time to read all of that.

#4 Geoff777

Geoff777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:19 AM

Hi, yes absolutely,

l am hosting my site with 123-reg.
I have 26 pop mailboxes included within my hosting package, but l am unable to send or receive email from from my usual email program ( Windows mail, my oS is Vista basic).

the 2 email addresses l want to set up are : admin@mydomainname and sales@mydomainname

l have added these to email forwarding as suggested by the 123-support team.

I have also added both to my windows mail accounts.

have set my incoming mail to pophost.123-reg.co.uk and outgoing smtp to mail.btinternet. ( my isp is btinternet)

I have spent over two weeks trying to solve this issue and wondered if anyone here has any idea what l can try next.

Many thanks
Geoff

#5 Steeldogs

Steeldogs

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 01 May 2009 - 01:56 PM

I didn't read all of the original post but it appears 123-reg does offer webmail. Have you tried sending and receiving emails via the webmail interface to make sure it's not the server but a setting on your system? If you can receive an email in webmail then possibly there is something wrong on your system, whether it be incorrect settings, a firewall issue, router issue.
"If we don't succeed, we run the risk of failure."
- Dan Quayle, former U.S. Vice President

-----

ASUS Rampage Formula, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650, Dual Seagate 1.5TB, XFX HD-487A-ZDDC Radeon 1GB 256-bit GDDR5, ASUS 22X DVD Burner SATA, HT OMEGA CLARO 7.1 Channels 24-bit, G.SKILL 4GB PC2 6400, Rosewill RX950-S-B 950W PSU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users