Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

netgear wg311v3 problem?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:36 PM

Ive got a netgear wg311v3 wireless card that wont work on my vista home premium computer. It installed ages ago but recently started losing connection every minute or so. Ive tried reinstalling with the drivers for vista from netgears website but it still wont recognize it. It gets as far as the the bit where you plug in the card but then nothing else happens. Windows tries to install it but just says there is a problem with installing the drivers. What can be done to sort it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:41 PM

I suggest doing a AV/AS scan... For AS; Spyware Terminator, or Adaware... For AV; Avast, or AVG...

#3 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 02:00 PM

Computer is free from all virus and spyware. Seems the card dont like vista if it has more than 2gb of ram installed. This has 3gb.

#4 danr

danr

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:07 PM

I have that same exact wireless card, if you're not installing the drivers first, and then installing the card it will not work right.

So try this, (if you're not that is....)

Right click on "computer" click on "manage" now click on "device manager", scroll down the list to "network" and click on the + sign to open the sub menu. Right click on the entry for the card and click on "uninstall".

Now close any and all open windows and turn off the computer, remove the card from the computer.

Now restart the computer and install the drivers, make sure you get the latest updated version for Vista. Once the drivers are installed you will get a small window pop up telling you it is now ok to install the card in the computer.

Vista drivers http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/744

Turn off the computer, put the card back in, restart the computer. It will likely find and ask for the drivers again upon restart, just point it to the location of the driver and let it do its thing if it wants.

Once done the card should work right again, if not let us know, or is that's how you're doing it to start with let us know that either way.

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:59 AM

Thats how ive tried it. When it restarts it either does nothing or it shows an error message saying drivers cannot be installed.Windows seems to take over the installation instead of the disc running.

#6 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

Why dont you browse to this page and install it from there

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#7 kev25v6

kev25v6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

Tried everything including netgear support and it just wont install on vista. I put it in my xp machine and it works fine. So much for it being compatable with vista. Maybe it just does not like having 3gb of ram installed on the computer.

#8 c5vetter

c5vetter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

had similar problem on XP machine with same netgear card - attempted to INSTALL, but install failed part way through - talked with TECH SUPPORT and it turned out DHCP was/is not supported - was looking for static address!? anyhow, returned netgear and got LINKSYS, but netgear is still on system and screwing things up - how do I REMOVE all netgear instances!?

install has screwed up the fact that neither of my network printers will now allow me to print! nor, can I get the wirelss to come up, unless I manually power down/powerup the LINKSYS wirelss router!

NEED HELP!!!!!

BTW - is there something I can do by booting up in SAFEMODE or anything like that!?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users