Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supply needed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Eleutheria

Eleutheria

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:25 AM

I went out and plunked down money for a high end graphics card to play the next-gen games coming out several months ago. I bought the e-GeForce 5800 128 MB card, but when I brought it home and installed it, it helped a little, but not nearly what I expected.

After making sure everything was installed correctly, and checking for new drivers, I still wasn't getting the output in the card that I am sure it is capable of. I'm playing FarCry and I've seen just how good the graphics are and I am not even getting reflection on the water!

Some info about my system: I have a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 1 Gig system memory, 2.0 AGP bus, and a 250 Watt power supply unit. Now here is where I think the problem lies, for I have all the system requirements needed except it says I need a 300 Watt power supply or greater. I called Dell to see if they had one and the guy told me that they didn't have a 300 (or 350) for my model of computer, that it wouldn't work anyway, and that it would probably "blow up my computer" if I had that much power in there! Seeing how Dell is proprietary about all their stuff, he probably wasn't able to tell me that I could put another one in there. Please let me know if I can in fact put another power supply in w/o damaging my PC.

It has been quite a while since I bought the card and didn't have the money for a while to purchase a power supply. Now I am available to, but need to see if it's going to work for me. It's been so long that I don't think I'll be able to take the card back and will have to sell it for much cheaper than I bought it for. Any help is much appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Sounds like a new power supply would be pretty important. Take a look at this site.

#3 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

But will a new power supply fry out my Mobo? I've heard that Dell is very proprietary about their stuff.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 05:26 PM

I've put 350W power supplies in machines that originally had 200W with no ill effects. I did this because that was all that was available. Your components will draw what they need. Its a matter of extra capacity rather than pumping out whats available and frying everything.

Dell does use a proprietary connector on some of their power supplies though so you will need an adapter to allow you to fit the standard power supply onto a Dell mobo.

See Dell to ATX Power Supply Converter.

I see that some of the Pentium 4 Dell's don't require this. Check the reference at the bottom of the page in my link to see if your machine is listed or have a look inside the case.

Edited by Leurgy, 18 June 2005 - 05:31 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 11:00 PM

Using Herk's link the reccomended model is here

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/vie...25D&view=photos

Is this PSU already manufactured to fit a dell or would I still need the adaptor? (I do need an adaptor based on the site you listed.

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:13 AM

Your going to have to take a look, although your link does say its a Dell PSU.

From my link:

Notes: If you are unsure if your Dell requires one of our Dell Power Supply Adapters, please take a close look at the Dell motherboard pictured at the top of this page and see if your motherboard has the extra connector pictured on the left. Also Some Dell machines chassis may need to have material removed to make room for a standard power supplies ON/OFF switch.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Eleutheria

Eleutheria
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

Good news - and just to update this. I ordered the PSU in that link and it's working fabulously. Feel free to lock the thread. Thanks guys!

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:31 PM

Right on Eleutheria. Thanks for posting back and letting us know how you made out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users