Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-install WIN 2000 Pro on Dell PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Duly

Duly

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

I just recently bought from a private owner a Dell Optiplex GX-60 low profile pc that came with WIN 2000 Pro as the original OS system. I want to re-install the OS but, he didn't have the disks that came with it. What OS do I have to purchase (by legal means - OEM or new purchase) to do the re-install? Since Dell desktops are proprietary. Are there any other steps I have to do such as do a flash update to the bios?

Update: I changed my mind about re-installing 2000 Pro. I am installing a different OS.

Update2: Thanks "garmanma" for the dell info. I will use it when I do a fresh install of XP Pro.

Edited by Duly, 13 April 2009 - 05:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

First I would see if it has a recovery partition:
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...lang=en&cs=

If you have no luck, just buy a 2K CD. You can get the drivers here:
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...n&TabIndex=
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users