Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Swapping out internal hardware

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jall65

jall65

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:25 AM

I have a Gateway laptop model MX6440. Yesterday my Sister-in-Law :thumbsup: wanted to use my computer, She dropped it and it broke both of the hinges. The hinges pulled out the of the bottom part of the housing rendering it useless and unable to reattach. The internals and monitor both are working and seemed to be okay. The computer boots up and runs normal. My question is, How hard would it be to swap out my system to another similar Gateway that uses the same chassis that my computer uses. I loved my laptop and I have had not a single problem out of it. Plus does anyone know where I could get an entire case,chassis,housing (what is the proper term used for the case?) other than ebay. One more question, Ive found some on ebay but the model are different, mine is the MX6440 and the ones I found is MX6448 and MX6422 and such. They look identical to mine except different in processors or such. I just cannot afford another new computer right now.
Here is the specs of my system.

Processor AMD Turion™ 64 Mobile Technology ML-32
Operates at 1.8 GHz | 512 KB L2 Cache
HyperTransport™ technology at up to 1600 MHz)
Screen 15.4-inch Widescreen Ultrabright WXGA TFT
Chipset ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset (RS482M)
Memory 1024 MB DDR (2 × 512 MB) (PC2700) SODIMM
Expandable to 2 GB
Video Integrated Radeon® X300 based graphics
Up to 64 MB shared video memory
Audio AC '97 2.3 Compliant Audio
Built-in speakers
Hard Drive 100 GB hard drive (4200 RPM)
Optical Drive DVD+/-RW Multi-Format Double Layer (up to 8.5 GB)

Write maximum: 8X DVD +/-R, 6X DVD-RW, 8X DVD+RW, 2X DVD-R DL, 2.4X DVD+R DL, 24X CD-R and 16X CD-RW
Read maximum: 8X DVD-R/RW/ROM, 4X DVD+/-R DL, RAM, 24X CD-R/RW/ROM discs
Media Reader 4-in-1 Digital Media Manager
Secure Digital, Memory Stick, Memory Stick-Pro, and MMC
Modem 56K ITU V.92 ready Fax/Modem
Network 10/100 Mbps built-in Ethernet
802.11g Wireless LAN (up to 54 Mbps)
SecureEasySetup™, 125 High Speed Mode, BroadRange™ Technology
Interfaces

* 4 - USB 2.0 Ports
* 1 - VGA External Connector
* 1 - IEEE 1394 port
* 1 - RJ11
* 1 - RJ45
* Microphone In
* Headphone / Audio Out

Pointing Device Touchpad with Vertical Scroll Zone
PCMCIA 1 - Type I or Type II; Card Bus
Battery 6-cell Lithium-ion
Dimensions 1.31 to 1.40-inches H × 14.09-inches W × 10.39-inches D
Weight 6.28 pounds (2.92 kg)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:50 AM

Many different models use the same upper/lower case. The problem lies in determining whether your system is a "featured" or "defeatured" model and what openings are needed in the case for USB/LAN/card rreader/expansion slot etc. The best thing I can suggest is going to Gateway's site and start looking up part numbers for your lappy and doing a goodle search for the correct case number. That will be a quick way to see what models it fits/will swap with.

Edited by dpunisher, 13 April 2009 - 12:00 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users