Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removal of Norton Security

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Rika

Rika

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:42 AM

PLEASE HELP!!! I have a HP, OS(XP) SP2 - 512 MB. That's pretty much ALL I know about my computer. When I opened my computer this AM, there was a notice that Norton Security had not been renewed so I needed to renew it or remove it. I would like to remove it and I clicked on that button but it took me to a add/remove place and I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO. Can someone PLEASE walk me very slowly through how to do this. I want to install the Avira protection. Has anyone had any problems with this Avira Security?? Please answer me as soon as possible. I don't want my computer not protected. Thanking you in advance..I forgot to add that my service is with AT&T and I hav eh AT&T Internet Security Suite powered by McAfee. Will this suffice for the time being until I can uninstall Norton and install Avira????

Edited by Rika, 13 April 2009 - 11:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:13 PM

The correct way to remove any program is to use Add/Remove Programs from the Control Panel.

If that does not work properly, then use the Norton Removal Tool (SymNRT) (uninstalls ALL Norton 2008/2007/2006/2005/2004/2003 products from your computer).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Rika

Rika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

I DO NOT know how to use the Add/Remove Program from the Control Panel. How do I find the Control Panel. What do I add or remove??? Can Someone walk me throught this??

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:29 PM

Click on the text highlighted in blue. These are links that will provide more information or explain in detail what to do.

Go to Start > Control Panel or Start > Settings > Control Panel (if in Classic View) and double-click on Add/Remove Programs. From within Add/Remove Programs highlight "Norton Security" (if listed) and select Remove. Vista users can refer to Add/Remove Programs In Vista .

Edited by quietman7, 13 April 2009 - 01:31 PM.

#5 Rika

Rika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Quietman 7...I clicked on to your Add/Remove program, there were 2 Symantec Corporatin files there. I was able to remove only 1, the second Symantec Corporation file refused to let me remove it. I also Clicked onto your Norton Removal Tool and a notice came up saying that it had expired. I don't what to do now? Any help would be appreciated !

Edited by Rika, 14 April 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#6 Lukester

Lukester

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

Quietman 7...I clicked on to your Add/Remove program, there were 2 Symantec Corporatin files there. I was able to remove only 1, the second Symantec Corporation file refused to let me remove it. I also Clicked onto your Norton Removal Tool and a notice came up saying that it had expired. I don't what to do now???? Any help would be appreciated !!

Try this link: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninsta...oval-Tool.shtml

that's where I got mine and I ran it and it removed my Norton.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

alternate download link for SymNRT

#8 Rika

Rika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:19 PM

Quietman7...I went to the alternate site you gave me. Could you be a little more specific which one of these tools I'm suppose to use? There's several there. Thank you.

Edited by Rika, 14 April 2009 - 02:25 PM.

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:26 PM

All the links provided will allow you to download SymNRT. They all are mirrors except for the authors site listed at the top.

#10 Rika

Rika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 02:29 PM

Lukester.. Thank you for suggesting that link. I clicked onto it and it stated there was no such link like that. Perhaps you have gotten part of it wrong? Also, does it cost anything to remove it?

Edited by Rika, 14 April 2009 - 02:39 PM.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:01 AM

Rika, the tool is free for use, it won't cost you anything to use it.

Please read this Bleeping Computer topic, post number 1

How To Remove Your Norton Products, Removal instructions for most Symantec Norton products (clickable link)

In that post is a link for the removal tool. Click on the link in the section
Using the SymNRT removal tool

A box for the download will appear, click save, then choose to save to your desktop.
After it downloads, open the file, and click Run. Follow the prompts, after it finishes, you will need to reboot.

Also, you used the Norton security suite, which includes an antivirus and a firewall.
In your first post, you mentioned that you want to install Avira, an antivirus.
But there is no mention of a firewall. You will need to install one to replace the Norton component.
There are some good free firewalls-a list of them can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Until you can get one installed, go to Control Panel.
Click on Windows firewall, General tab, and turn on Windows Firewall.
After you install another one, go back to Windows firewall and turn it off.

#12 Rika

Rika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:57 AM

Queen-Evie...Thank you for your help. I wanted to add this to the conversation, I have AT&T Internet Security Suite by McAfee. My server is AT&T. It was my understanding that they provide their own Internet Security even if I don't have Norton Security. Would I need to install a Firewall even if I have this? Sorry y'all have to keep talking to me about this! If this is a stupid question, I will apologize ahead of time...but if I have a Windows Firewall, why do I need to install another one? Also I will definitely read the How to Remove Your Norton Products on post number 1 and I will click on to it. I probably should have asked all of these questions on the How to remove Norton Products thread? Thanks lady!

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:28 AM

Internet providers often offer their customers security programs for free or at a discount.
You do not have to use these products-you can choose others if you want.
Is McAfee currently installed on your system?
If it is, you do not need to install a firewall or antivirus, as the McAfee suite includes both.
It isn't advisable to use more than one of each-they conflict with each other and can cause problems.
The choice is yours-keep McAfee or uninstall it and use other products.
Windows firewall is very basic. It monitors inbound connections but not outbound.
It should be turned off if you have another firewall installed.
The majority of us here at Bleeping Computer recommend the use of something other than Windows firewall.
We don't mind talking to you about this, your questions are not stupid, and there is no need to apologize for anything.
All of us were new to computers and the internet at one time-and asking questions is one way to learn more about it.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:14 AM

To expand on what Queen-Evie said.

Windows XP firewall protects against port scanning but has limitations and it is no replacement for a robust 3rd-party two-way personal firewall.
  • The XP firewall is not a full featured firewall. Normal firewalls allow you to specifically control each TCP and UDP port but XPís firewall does not provide you with this capability. Instead, it takes a point and click approach to enabling or disabling a few common ports.
  • The XP firewall does a good job of monitoring, examining and blocking inbound traffic but makes no attempt to filter or block outbound traffic like most 3rd-party personal firewalls.
  • Thus, the XP firewall does not identify which programs attempt to initiate outbound network or Internet communications nor does it block the traffic when suspicious activity occurs.
    • This feature can be helpful in preventing many types of malware attacks that may attempt to open ports or communicate with outside servers without the user's knowledge or consent. It also means that if your system has been compromised, a hacker could use your machine as part of a distributed denial of service attack.
  • By default, Windows Firewall rejects all incoming traffic unless that traffic is in response to a previous outgoing request. If you're running Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), Windows Firewall is turned on by default. If your Firewall is not turned on by default, then your using an unpatched OS and need to update your system to SP2.
You may want to read "Understanding and Using Firewalls".

#15 Rika

Rika
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 02:47 PM

Queen-Evie...I do indeed have McAfee Suite installed. I checked with my daughter and it comes automatically with my HSI from AT&T and it automatically renews it as long as I have the High Speed Internet. I assume then, that I do not need that. The Windows Firewall is and has been turned off. I just thought that since I had the McAfee installed and the Norton, that I was suppose to replace Norton even if I have the McAfee installed, but since you said I don't need to, then I won't. Thank ALL of you for supporting, directing and instructing me as carefully as you did. I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate it. Us Beginners are scared to death of these Computers. I just need to play with it and not be so scared of everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users