Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Configure Updates to Shut down in a loop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RMiller31

RMiller31

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:40 AM

Hi,
Last night I was going through the process of updating vista. The updates that pop up at the bottom right of the screen sometimes that tell you there are important updates for you to download. When the computer restarted it came up with the screen configuring updates, the first 2 configured just fine. My problem is that it trys to configure the third update, the computer sits there for about 5 minutes staying at 0%, then it will bring up a screen saying shuting down. The computer will then reboot and go back to configuring the third update again, and then shuts down. I tried to boot the computer in safe mode but it does the same thing.

Also I don't know if this would be a problem but the vista on this computer is an upgrade from xp. So I do have upgrade disc for vista. And I have tried to use the upgrade disc I went into repair computer option clicked on restore points and clicked on several different restore points before the time of the update and every time I try the restore it just fails and doesn't restore the computer to an earlier time. I've also tried to click on restore to last known working configuration that was unsuccessful as well.

Edited by RMiller31, 13 April 2009 - 11:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:56 AM

When booting into safe mode, do you have the option to boot to last known good configuration?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 03:52 PM

Hi,,, i had this problem on my wifes vista pc,,,, looking on the internet for a fix they recomend is a system restore to before the updates booting from the recovery disc,,,, this worked perfectly,,, and i have also now done this on 2 friends pc's,,,, but as you say ,, you have tried this and it never worked,,, im wondering if this is because its an upgrade disc ,, im not to sure,,,, but if you know anyone with a full vista disc then give it a go with this,,, could work,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users