Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE7 opens all websites except one

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 muzzles

muzzles

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:31 AM

I can go to all websites and right click and open linked webpages except for one. I can open it with safari, but this has just started 2 days ago with IE7. I have cleared everything with CCleaner and it did not help.

I can not access the page if I type in the address or even if i try to access it from google or other sources.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:24 AM

Perhaps the site is being blocked by the IE7 phishing filter. If you would like, post the url to the site and someone here will check it using their IE7. I still use IE6 for updating Windows and Firefox.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Thank you. I've disabled the phising filter for IE and McAfee and still no luck. This just started a couple days ago. The site is www.adultfriendfinder.com. Thanks

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:01 AM

If you are trying yo access it from your office, maybe the admin has blocked its ip address :thumbsup:

Check if it is not included in the Restricted Sites list of IE. You can find them here: Tools->Options ->Security.

#5 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for your thoughts. I double checked that and there are no sites listed.

Thanks again.

#6 buttoni

buttoni

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

If you are using a hosts file (located in C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\etc) to block "known bad websites", maybe your hosts file is blocking it. Or if you use Spywareblaster THAT may be blocking it. FWIW this website doesn't exactly get glowing reviews on Wikepedia in the "Criticism" section of the article.
HP Pavilion desktop p6270z; 8 GB ram; Win7 Home Premium x64 bit; FX 4.0; DSL 2Wire modem/router; MVPS Hosts; Comodo FW 5.3(D+ & Sandbox enabled); MSSE; MBAM on demand.

#7 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:34 AM

Thanks for your help. In windows\system32\drivers\ there are 3 folders: en-US with many files *.mui; etc with a hosts file and inside the file (127.0.0.1 localhost) without the () the other files Imhosts.sam, networks, protocol and services; the next folder is UMDF with a folder en-US and 3 *.dlls files

I do not understand the host(s) files, so I listed them.

Thanks, I do not have spyblaster, but I do have Malwarebytes and Superantispyware (both not enabled at startup) Spybot (enabled at start-up) and McAfee.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:49 AM

May be Spybot is blocking it. Read the discussion in the link below.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=305162

http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=3...amp;postcount=5
In post #5 in the above forum, is this: I think I found the solution. You have to edit your hosts file. I disabled the AFF entries that Spybot added and that seems to have fixed the problem.

In another post there, a Spybot rep said the blocking was caused by "human error".
Having had experience with Spybot, I would not expect them to remove the site from the block list any time soon. With that in mind you will likely have to edit the host file after each Spybot update until they remove the site from the block list. Maybe.

Edited by buddy215, 15 April 2009 - 12:17 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

You found it. I uninstalled Spybot and I can access the site now.

I've checked my hosts file and they are not listed there, so they must be included in the blocked list for Spybot. Do you know how to unblock siles in Spybot? I have searched and not had any luck. Can you recommend another free spyware program I should have enabled?

Thank you

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:07 PM

I prefer to use Spyware Blaster and WinPatrol.
Just update Spware Blaster twice a month or donate a few bucks for automatic updating. It uses no
computing resources. It blocks known bad sites, bad ActiveX, and some cookies in Firefox.

WinPatrol does some real time protection and has many useful tools. Will let you know when changes are
being made to the browser or registry just like Spybot but a more friendly user interface. No updating required. Just
check every month or so for any upgrades.

http://www.winpatrol.com/
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

If Spybot was your only antispyware, you should also install either Super Antispyware or MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Both are offered free and require updating before scanning for malware. (should update at least weekly so they will be ready)
No need to allow either in startup. They are the best at finding and removing malware.

http://www.superantispyware.com/
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Edited by buddy215, 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM.

#11 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:16 PM

Thank you very much. I will start usiing them today.

Thanks again for all your help.

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

You're welcome.
I edited my last post and you may have missed it.

#13 muzzles

muzzles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:59 PM

Thanks again. I have both Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. I learned about these from this website. They have been very helpful as well as everyone on this site. Infact, I scanned with both before posting becasue I knew if I had spyware, one of them would find it.

Thank you for all your help and thoughts.

#14 solidwater

solidwater

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:14 PM

Hi there,,I have been having the same problems. I found entries in the restricted sites file and removed them. But still no luck, so at the suggestion of the forum went in to the win32hostsdrivers and found two entries also blocking the site. I do not know how to disable those line items. Anyone able to help a marginal computer operator ?

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,092 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

I think all you have to do is "highlight", right click, choose delete for each item you want to delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users