Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:55 AM

Hi Guys

I have Vista Home Premium, and my friend has bought a new laptop with Vista Basic.

He is unable to play DVDs and has asked to borrow my disc to upgrade.

Is it as simple as that? Will it work? and does Microsoft have a way of penalising us for doing it?

Any help much appreciated

regards

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 exile360

exile360

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:09 AM

Greetings :huh: .

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that because he'll have to get a valid license key by purchasing the upgrade. The system most likely came with a disc called Windows Anytime Upgrade. He can just pop in that disc if he has it and it will guide him on how to purchase Home Premium, Business or Ultimate. If he doesn't have that disc then he can right-click on the Computer icon and select Properties and there should be info about the version of Windows and a link that he can click that allows him to upgrade his version of Vista. As I recall, it directs him to this Microsoft site. If he were to try and use your disc and product key, it wouldn't work because your key has already been activated and can only be used on that machine.

Edited by exile360, 13 April 2009 - 04:11 AM.

#3 RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

RonS WINDOWS-TEAM

Authorized Microsoft Rep

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 16 April 2009 - 01:19 PM

Greetings :huh: .

Unfortunately it's not as simple as that because he'll have to get a valid license key by purchasing the upgrade. The system most likely came with a disc called Windows Anytime Upgrade. He can just pop in that disc if he has it and it will guide him on how to purchase Home Premium, Business or Ultimate. If he doesn't have that disc then he can right-click on the Computer icon and select Properties and there should be info about the version of Windows and a link that he can click that allows him to upgrade his version of Vista. As I recall, it directs him to this Microsoft site. If he were to try and use your disc and product key, it wouldn't work because your key has already been activated and can only be used on that machine.

Hi Cluless,

Exile360 is partly right. Your friend will need his own verification key to activate any upgrade he does. When you go to the Anytime Upgrade site, you can get info on upgrading, but at this time he’ll still have to get the disc(s) mailed to him. There aren’t any over-the-Internet upgrades available for Vista right now.

Hope this helps out a bit. I think he’ll be happy with whatever version he ends up getting.

Cheers,

Edited by RonS WINDOWS-TEAM, 16 April 2009 - 01:24 PM.

Ron S

Windows Outreach Team

Facebook - Twitter - YouTube

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users