Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Okay, what am I missing? Browser problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 therealex

therealex

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

Very weird. I removed some malware (with Malwarebytes AM, running in Safe Mode) from my friend's computer. Now, she doesn't know if this was an existing problem or not, for some reason. IE (7), Firefox (latest version) and Google Chrome cannot surf. Even Firefox running in it's Safe Mode won't connect, and I also re-installed it.

Yet, of all things, Safari works fine. So, it's not a connection problem, it's not a TCP/IP problem. And, all browsers work fine in Safe Mode.

She's running Vista Ultimate with all patches up to date. I've tried it with and without the Windows firewall. I've stopped all non-vital running processes. Common sense tells me it's something that's running at start-up, which is why it works in Safe Mode. But darn if I can find anything!

In Safe Mode, I ran HiJack This (v2) and didn't find anything that looked weird. I then ran Ad-Aware AE, and it found three more trojans. Rebooted into Normal mode, still no difference - the three browsers wouldn't work. As all of this took a few hours, I left after re-booting into Safe Mode and left AW to do yet another full scan, and asked her to let me know what happened. I told her that if it found ANYTHING at all, to then run AW (in Safe Mode) again and again until it came up clean.

So, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas about what might be causing this. And why the heck does Safari work when the others don't?

- Russ

Edited by therealex, 12 April 2009 - 11:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

Malwarebytes was designed to and runs best in, normal mode
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 fluxx23

fluxx23

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:35 PM

Just to confirm, no proxy servers are setup with the other browsers that are not working right?

#4 therealex

therealex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:02 PM

Thanks for the replies. There are no proxy servers for the other browsers, although I did try setting IE to "automatic" to see if that made a difference (it didn't). Regarding MBAM, I've tried it in both regular and Safe Mode, and thought it worked better in Safe Mode (as do many anti-spyware/malware programs). I know Antivirus 2009 hides in Safe Mode, so now that you've mentioned it I'll make sure to try MBAM in regular mode again.
Meanwhile, I haven't heard back from my friend yet regarding the scan. I'm still puzzled as to why only Safari would work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users