Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking between 2 computers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vayne24

vayne24

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:38 PM

Hi! My friend asked me to fix his old computer which is heavily infected by viruses/worms/malwares
and I think it's all clean now so I thought I could use it for networking so...

I bought a 10-meter network cable (the one that both ends would be plugged directly on the cpu)
I set up everything using the network wizard and everything seems to be fine
I can share files with the other computer but when i tried to play games, none of the computers can see each other game

I'm pretty much sure about the cable I bought since it is exactly the same with the one we used on my friend's house to play RA3
So I guess something is wrong with the settings of the computer perhaps because of the infections that was there before?
Or maybe because my computer is in Windows Xp Pro Sp3 and the other one is in Windows Xp Pro sp2?

Some more weird thing came up after that. my computer can't even enter the network lobby of red alert 2
(no error pops out,it just kicks me back to the main menu) and also in counter strike 1.6 (nothing happens when I click "find server")
But The Other computer (the old one) can do so without a hitch.

I've also tried starcraft and Warcraft 3 , I can enter the game lobby but can't see games regardless of who creates the game

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:09 AM

I bought a 10-meter network cable (the one that both ends would be plugged directly on the cpu)

If you are using a direct cable connection (without a router) you need a special cable.
It is called a cross-over cable or sometimes called a null cable
They look the same as a regular cable only a couple pair of wires are switched at the terminal connector
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:25 AM

Now that you have bought a 10 meter long ethernet cable, you dont have to buy a crossover cable. Just get a ethernet crossover adaptor.

Something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Smartronix-ST034LT02...r/dp/B000ASGFV0

More information about crossover cables:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

Edited by Romeo29, 13 April 2009 - 10:26 AM.

#4 vayne24

vayne24
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:28 AM

I see... I've checked the cable and saw the colored wires are in the same order in both terminal connectors
i guess this is just an ordinary cable. Got me confused with my friend's.
I'll try to find an ethernet crossover adaptor in the local computer shop...

but will these solve those problems regarding being unable to enter game lobbies?

Thanks to you I've just learned something new :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users