Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet or network connectivity

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:30 PM

I'm trying to get my old Pentium (running Win98SE) to connect to the Internet. So far, I haven't had any luck. Not sure what I'm doing wrong... I have it set to detect automatically, but I get nothing. I'm trying to connect through a LAN.

Win98 is current, and I ran the unofficial service pack. Still nothing... I'm pretty clueless with these Win98 machines. It's been so long since I used that OS. Does anyone know how to get this thing on my network?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

:flowers:

Have you installed your ISP's hook up software? Each machine needs it.

:thumbsup:

#3 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:33 AM

I did not know that. I've actually only installed the software on one of my computers. I usually just plug in whatever machine I'm using and its able to connect. Anyway, I just tried running the setup disk for my Bellsouth service, but the install stopped at 16%. Then I got a message that my system does not meet the minimum requirements. It says I have a 133mhz machine, but need at least a 160.

#4 Smithsam

Smithsam

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 02:37 AM

1. have you install LAN CARD DRIVER properly...?
for checking LAN CARD is install or not , ( Start > Run > type ping 192.168.1.1 -t ) if you get reply back that means your LAN CARD is OK.or if you get Request time out or destination net unreachable that means some thing problem in your LAN CARD.

2. Configure your IP address in LAN CARD properties ( network Property )

#5 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:09 AM

I did not know that. I've actually only installed the software on one of my computers. I usually just plug in whatever machine I'm using and its able to connect. Anyway, I just tried running the setup disk for my Bellsouth service, but the install stopped at 16%. Then I got a message that my system does not meet the minimum requirements. It says I have a 133mhz machine, but need at least a 160.

You may need to contact your ISP for Drivers for WIN98, Mate?

WIN98 is different from other Windows and needs specific Drivers to work in what you want to do, others just find them in their Library, but WIN98 had a very limited Library and needed most Drivers to be phycically always to be installed.

LAN Card is another example of it.

Edited by Abacus 7, 13 April 2009 - 03:10 AM.

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

Automatic detecting of settings doesnt always work. You need to set IP address, subnet mask and gateway manually.

#7 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:17 PM

I think the issue is with my router (linksys BESFR41). I connected the computer directly to my dsl modem, and it found the Internet with no problems.

#8 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:05 AM

There you go, Mate, contact the Router Company and try for WIN98 Drivers for it. That may do the Trick? Just install them and it should be compatible then.

Also check for Problems of the Phones interferring with the linkage? Your ISP can guide you through that.

Edited by Abacus 7, 14 April 2009 - 05:11 AM.

#9 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

I guess this topic can be closed. The hard drive crashed last night. :thumbsup:

I thought that HD sounded funny, but I had no idea it was this close to failing. Oh well, it's a 14 year old PC. You get what you pay for, I guess. It's a shame because I had almost fixed the connection problem. Luckily I was able to hook up the drive to another PC and get most of my data. Copied it off the dead 1.5 gig onto a much roomier 20 gig HD I had laying around.

The key system files are all intact, but the old NEC won't recognize its new HD. It just says "operating system not found" and does nothing. Likewise the Win98 CD says I can't reinstall the OS b/c the computer doesn't have a hard drive. I tried f2 to setup, and supposedly detected the new drive. But it still doesn't work. Oh well...

#10 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:45 AM

Some of the older system's BIOS would not recognise larger HDDs, but maybe someone else may have an idea or two for you? I suggest leave it open, just in case? There are some smart Windows 98 Users here.

Or you could look about for a 2G second hand HDD?

#11 MaxPower42069

MaxPower42069
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:33 PM

This might be one of those systems then. It's a Pentium 133 so that makes sense. In the BIOS, it only detects the drive as having 8455 MB. And this is the upper limit, though I can specify a smaller size.

One thing I've noticed is that the old drive is formatted in FAT, while the "new" drive is formatted FAT32. Both should be readable by Win98. So what if I made an FAT partition on the new drive? I could make it about a gig in size, and put all the operating system files on it. The sum total of everything saved on that old hard drive was 567 MB.

Perhaps I could use fdisk for this task. Can it be done from the DOS prompt of a Win98 machine? I already have the new HD plugged into another Pentium 120 as a secondary drive.

#12 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:05 PM

Oh boy, Mate, I am fairly rusty with WIN98SE now, it has been a few years since I played with it, but you just may have an idea there. I cannot accept responsibility for it, if things don't work out. Using what you Plan would mean that the 20G would just become a 2G HDD, with no other part usable on that Machine.

Good idea if you Post back before we proceed, then I can relax a bit?

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:14 PM

win98 has no trouble seeing drives up to 137 gb. problem is bios, good luck finding update for that. re-partitioning should work for you. you will have to start machine with win98 boot disk and yes, fdisk will do the job

#14 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:23 PM

thinking again
enabling large disk support with fdisk may enable windows to see the correct disk size even if bios does not recognize

#15 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:34 PM

thinking again
enabling large disk support with fdisk may enable windows to see the correct disk size even if bios does not recognize

On the old Pentimum 1 Machines over 2 G was just beyond the BIOS, Mate, but I did once see someone enable an 8G HDD by playing about with the BIOS. That is definately not my Field.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users