Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

which router to buy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PaperJam

PaperJam

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:43 PM

I've used a pretty old networking equipment and want to upgrade. It's called 802.11g wireless cardbus and PCI adapter dont know if you understand what this means. basically i inserted a cardbus? inside my cpu and screwed on an antenna type of thing. now first of all i dont know which one i need theres "a", "g", "n", "b". and second question is do i need anything like those antannas that i described? As far as I understood the router is just one box? am i right about that? how do the comuters send communicate with it? hopefully you understood my question :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:02 AM

Well as for the card yes... I prefer to use a card and router that is compatible with any modes (g/b/n) though N is the fastest (unless I just haven't heard of anything new lately)...
The router is pretty much just one box correct... It communicates through DCHP, and WiFi, as well as other wireless technologies..

#3 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:41 AM

Go for the model as Burn suggested which supports N too, but it is expensive. So that you can use that option later. Well router is just one box, but make sure you get the right one depending the line you have like "ADSL" or "CABLE"

Coming to communication of routers and computers there are lot technologies involved in it. Basically they all use "packets" for data transfer. The router acts as DHCP server and assigns IP address to your computers and will send packets only to that one according to requirement.

Well can give me technical information if you need, :thumbsup:

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

Well actually most routers it really doesn't matter on what kind of connection you have, so long as the modem delivers the beginning local network's ip through ethernet, nothing else will actually matter, or at least not for a consumer point of view... Now in the aspects of using a router for Fiber Optics, then we are talking a whole different ball game... Which varies in price and compatibility, from my understanding, one of cisco's router's that supports Fiber Optics directly, up to 150gbps, is like $2,000,000 a piece... Plus it uses gigabit ethernet and supplies I believe up to 35 gigabit ethernet connections... Not to mention the integrated firewall, and other security support... Now one of those I would love to get my hands on... That would be a nice couple of hours to days worth of time figure out ways of hacking it lol...

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:31 PM

I picked a Linksys WRT160N, I am very happy with it. Range is very good, I have walked about 200 feet from my house and still have a fair signal two out of bars. N is the fastest out right now, but it will run at lower speeds to accommodate slower equipment. I was going to buy the older model WRT54G but this was on sale and very clean and compact. So far after four months not a single hiccup just works perfect better then expected.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users