Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lose network connection, only solution is restart

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fwb

fwb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

About a week ago, I started having a problem where after about 10-20 minutes of using a full-screen application (such as a game), my computer loses its network connection, and it is impossible to get it back unless I restart. I can no longer access the internet, and if I try disabling then re-enabling my Ethernet connection, windows says "Connection failed!". Command ping test won't run, no internet browsers can bring up any pages, and trying to repair the connection just hangs the dialogue box. Simply browsing the internet, doing email, and using word documents does not cause any problems, but if I start running a game the problem is guaranteed to happen within 10-20 minutes. Usually windows will not even let me restart (hangs on a blank desktop) and I have to do a hard reset. It happens with various games (tested on warcraft and team fortress) so I am fairly certain it is not any program in particular causing it. Playing the same games on other computers connected to the same network works perfectly fine, so I am certain it is not the network's fault either. It even happens if I play a game like warcraft 3 in single player mode (not using the internet)... and after about 20 mins I can't use the internet at all when I try again. I made sure to update all my drivers. I tried using system restore to return to a point when everything was working. I did not make any changes to the system since the problem started showing up. I did a full spyware and virus scan. Nothing is fixing this and I'm going crazy! I'm a computer engineer and am rarely stumped by problems like these...but I'm about to give up on this and format the system.

Any suggestions?

Specs:
-Gateway M280G Laptop
-Windows XP Prof 32bit SP3
-Intel M 1.86 GHz
-2GB RAM
-ATI Mobility Radeon X600 SE, DirectX 9.0c - 5.03.2600.5512
-Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Edited by fwb, 12 April 2009 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:11 PM

Running a game like that on a laptop could be over heating the innards. Are you running on battery or plugged in?

#3 fwb

fwb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 15 April 2009 - 11:10 PM

Hmmm, that explanation would make a lot of sense. Though...I've run the laptop in much hotter conditions for much longer plenty of times in the past without issues...so something must have recently worn out? I usually have my laptop sitting on a laptop cooling pad.

I'm running it plugged in. I discovered that going into and back out of hibernation also fixes the loss in network connectivity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users