Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop LCD not displaying

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

I'm trying to fix a ladies laptop which was dropped on the floor, and I think (hopefully) that all I need is an LCD replacement screen.

The laptop turns on fine, I can hear the windows loading chime while it loads up, and the hard drive light flickers. However, the display doesn't show much except a greenish-bluish color with lines going through it. The backlight does work though. Now, I'm hoping all it needs is an LCD replacement screen to work.

This is what the screen looks like while the laptop is on: %5b/URL%5d"> .

I think the graphics card in the laptop is working too,because when Windows is booting up (I know because of the chime) the screen kind of changes colors a bit.

I'm not very good with laptops, but I think this is all I need. I opened it up, and replacing the screen seems easy enough. I also checked all the connections, and they seem to be secured snuggly.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:44 PM

Hook up video/TV out to external monitor to verify diag.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:03 AM

I tried my tv and it didn't work (using VGA). i just tried a computer monitor and it didn't work wither (VGA also). However, this time the laptop made a sound like a new device was detected. Since I can't see anything on the screen, it would be hard to go into display properties and select a different monitor :thumbsup: .

Do you think If I disconnected the laptop display, it would automatically go to the external monitor?
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:29 AM

No, it will not go automatically to the new monitor, because the laptop doesnt know you dont see a thing on the laptops LCD. For as far as your laptop is concerned, you use your laptop screen.
I have had for years a laptop (toshiba) with an external monitor. I canged my settings so that if the monitor was hooked up, the laptop would use it. However, I had some sort of button with which I could switch manually. I recommend you to read a manual if you have it.
If you can provide the make/number, I can look it up, most manufacturers have their manuals online.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:37 AM

I disconnected the laptop screen, and this time when I started it up, it did display on the external screen. It showed the Dell start up screen, and then Windows loading, but, of course, once Windows booted, it no longer displayed (I'm using a 15" monitor with a 1024X768 resolution, while the laptop is probably using a widescreen resolution). The laptop is still working though, because it makes the Windows chime noise, and the hard drive light is flickering.

So, it must be the display. I found a good replacement from a reputable seller of lcds for only $56.XX! I was expecting something like this to be $100+. Then again, if there's a surplus of these older displays, they probably want to get rid of them. It's a Dell Inspiron B120 if you wanted to know.

Thanks for the feedback :thumbsup: !

Edited by Sterling14, 13 April 2009 - 07:38 AM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

I found a good replacement from a reputable seller of lcds for only $56.XX! I was expecting something like this to be $100+.

Jump on that. I usually figure $200+ for a replacement LCD in most cases. Hope the repair goes smoothly.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users