Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox and its corrupted Bookmarks!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lisbon

lisbon

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:59 PM

Well i have firefox as you can see from the tittle, and i have Hundreds of bookmarks, i used to have thousands but i decided to clean them up starting yesterday! Well i noticed some i would delete and that would be the end of it! But i came into a problem, ZOMBIE bookmarks, i cant delete them nor get rid of them anyway possible, i just cant get rid of them! So i said hey just back up my bookmarks and reinstall firefox, right? WRONG i use xmarks (formally known as fox marks) and well i cant sync, it says i have to do it but every time i run it its gets a unknown error! so know i cant back up threw xmarks, well OK i decided to go to the organize feature in firefox and back-up threw HTML export thing, Guess what? It doesn't work, i figured!

So i have a corrupt firefox and no means of backing up my bookmarks and add-ons a little help? I'm fairly savvy and usually get my way around things like this with google or with Brain power, but they both seem to have failed me this time, so anyone else's Brain power!!!! can help me, give its a try i need to get this done i love my bookmarks and cant lose them!

Thanks Chris(must of spent a half an hour just spell checking this post, dam i need to type better, its sad(Even spell checked this part)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Firefox keeps backups of your bookmarks automatically. Please follow the steps in the following MozillaZine knowledge base:

Restoring bookmarks in Firefox 3

Starting in Firefox 3, you can replace your current bookmarks with a bookmark backup file using the "Restore" feature of the Bookmarks Manager ("Bookmarks -> Organize Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore..."). You can select one of the dated backups that Firefox automatically creates or you can use the "Choose File..." option to select your own backup file. (If you see the error, Unable to process the backup file, read this article.)

The automatic bookmark backups that Firefox creates are stored in the bookmarkbackups folder, located in the Firefox profile folder. You can also create your own bookmark backups using the "Import and Backup -> Backup..." feature. All bookmark backup files are stored in in JSON format. Any bookmarks saved in HTML format (such as exported bookmarks) must be imported (see above) rather than restored. [8]

Note: You can also restore your bookmarks by exiting Firefox and removing the places.sqlite file from the Firefox profile folder. Firefox will rebuild the Places database from the latest JSON backup or, if no JSON file is found, from a bookmarks.html file, as detailed here; however, you will lose your browsing history.

Source - http://kb.mozillazine.org/Lost_bookmarks

Hope that helps, :thumbsup:

Edited by Joshuacat, 12 April 2009 - 05:31 PM.

JC

#3 lisbon

lisbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:54 PM

Thanks i restored it then i synced it and i got everything working thanks to your help!

Thank you so much! :thumbsup:

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Great! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

...and Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

Edited by Joshuacat, 12 April 2009 - 05:59 PM.

JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users