Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Uninstallation Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PhantomaZero

PhantomaZero

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:16 AM

So I decided to reinstall Starcraft the other day (yes, this is about Norton ). I played online fine and such. Today, it didn't work at all, I was getting a "cannot connect to battle.net server blah blah." I figured that it was a firewall issue so I decided to trade in Norton Firewall (internet security) for Kerio. During the uninstallation of Norton, it froze so I killed the process (stupid of me.) Now this security popup keeps coming up (firewall protection is turned off) and will not go away. As well as a Norton WMI update uninstallation window that fails to complete when it starts. I can't uninstall Norton for some reason (not through add/remove programs anyway.) How can I effectively get rid of these security alerts? I don't need Norton, so I'm willing to get rid of it.

For your reference:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y159/Phan...Clipboard01.jpg

Thanks for your time and I hope to getting to know all of you around here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bobby

bobby

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:12 AM

hi phantomazero,

not to worry i will give you a link and what ever version you have got
just have a good read and download the Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

here is the link:-

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

rgrds bobby

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:54 PM

I see from your screenshot you have both Norton Anti-virus and AVG running. You should only have ONE anti-virus program and ONE firewall program running on your system at any time. (You can have multiple anti-malware applications running though)
If you are running AVG disable NAV until you can uninstall it.

hth :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 07:23 PM

That pop up is pretty ambiguous. The way I read it, if you uncheck that box, it will go away.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 PhantomaZero

PhantomaZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 01:40 PM

I'm looking into getting rid of Norton right now then, thanks!
EDIT: The half uninstallation incident I experienced seems to have corrupted Norton, it won't start up.

Okay, here's my current situation:

I've managed to disable the security alerts. But now a lot of my internet demanding programs that require a secure connection (email, games, credit card transactions) won't function.

I'm pretty sure its not a virus, I've got AVG updated and run regular scans.

Currently, I'm thinking its a firewall conflict, which is strange because the only thing active is Kerio Personal Firewall. I'm pretty sure that nothing is configured to block secure sites and connections, the problem I have now.

So far, I've used:

Kerio
Norton
ZoneAlarm
Windows Firewall

Again, no program or website requiring a secure connection is working. Thanks for your time.

Edited by PhantomaZero, 19 June 2005 - 01:48 PM.

#6 littlwolf36

littlwolf36

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 05:58 PM

norton firewall protection also protect alot of aol files and if not uninstalled proerly can cause you to have problems accessing certian files in aol. im not sure how to uninstall the norton fire fully. but you might want to try going to start run and type regedit and be very careful here because these are your main registry keys here and can crash your computer if you move the wrong key.

#7 badkarma9999

badkarma9999

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2005 - 07:24 PM

have u checked ur ie security settings? have u tried a live linux disk to check n see if it will connect ,u might want to to try that.

Edited by badkarma9999, 19 June 2005 - 07:30 PM.

#8 PhantomaZero

PhantomaZero
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:15 PM

I used the uninstall tool that bobby so kindly provided. Everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks!

#9 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

Good work PhantomaZero and bobby! Thanks for letting us know. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#10 Burta

Burta

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2005 - 09:19 PM

hi phantomazero,

not to worry i will give you a link and what ever version you have got
just have a good read and download the  Removing your Norton program using SymNRT

here is the link:-

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

rgrds bobby

I don't know if it is just my computer but the link you have posted here doesn't seem to be working for me - though I get the feeling the symantec site is down at the moment - its just so hard to tell these days cause my computer/norton has been giving me so much grief these last few days I can never really tell if its a problem from my end or their end.

Either way I have a much in the same problem that PhantomaZero mentioned:

I'm looking into getting rid of Norton right now then, thanks!
EDIT: The half uninstallation incident I experienced seems to have corrupted Norton, it won't start up.

Okay, here's my current situation:

I've managed to disable the security alerts. But now a lot of my internet demanding programs that require a secure connection (email, games, credit card transactions) won't function.

I'm pretty sure its not a virus, I've got AVG updated and run regular scans.

I'm at the point where I just want everything Norton off my computer and when I go to uninstall NIS it seems to half uninstall then its stuff up when trying to remove the firewall aspect of the program then I get the "Firewall is turned off" security alert, I have somehow through this process managed to stop the "internet proctection is turned off" security alert, but I still can't manage to unistall Norton. I'm also finding the other symantec programs that I'm trying to remove come up with errors like "acn't be removed at this time due to yarda yarda" Please help, I'm open to any advice at this stage - I just want to get all teh Norton stuff off to reinstall it from scratch or opt for another AV program.

I'm currently runnning XP and the program in question is NIS 2004.

Edited by Burta, 21 August 2005 - 09:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users