Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't power on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boscru

boscru

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:16 PM

I have an HP Media Center m1170n. It will not power on. When I press the button on the front I don't get anything at all. I thought it may be the power supply and tried a new one, I still have the problem. I disconnected all addon cards, HD cables and power cables from the motherboard. Plugged in the 24 pin cable to the board and turned the PC on and the fan on the PSU started. I then plugged in the 12v connector and turned on the PC and the fan on the PSU did not start. Does this mean my board is dead, CPU is dead or both?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

HP/Compaq uses rebranded "Bestec" power supplies.
[Same ones found in emachine]

HP/Compaq/Bestec power supplies are best known for going bad & frying the motherboard in the process.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 boscru

boscru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:38 PM

The PSU is an Antec 450w. It was replaced a year ago. Original was a 300w that died.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:45 PM

"The PSU is an Antec 450w"

I suppose that kind of kills the "Bestec" theory.

From what you said in your first post the only way you are going to find out what is actually bad is to try the CPU on a different motherboard or try a different CPU on your motherboard [which I wouldn't do, if the mobo is defective it might kill a second CPU]
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users