Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to access the internet... Could a virus be the culprit?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

I have tried so many ways to fix this problem. I've posted on two forums already and I haven't gotten any internet access at all.
( http://forums.techguy.org/networking/81728...ion-doesnt.html )
( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218644/wirless-works-direct-connection-doesnt-for-one-computer-only/ )

I have been trying to fix this problem since the day it unexpectedly stopped working (April 9th). I have tried most of the possible solutions that were provided by one of the tech support guys, but not good. The only possible reason this could have happened is that a virus may have something to do with it. Please help! :thumbsup:

I won't post a Hijackthis or anything until I'm told to do so. Thank you again.

**Note - you don't have to read the entire thread, it's just the first post that really matters. If you're curious, I tried the current possible solutions and none of them worked. Which is why I'm assuming that a virus may be preventing me from accessing the internet or it did something to it for the 2 hours I was away from the computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,994 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 07:52 PM

Topic reopened and HiJack This topic deleted at member's request. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:08 PM

Try getting this onto your computer and run it
LSP-fix

http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:30 PM

My operating system is a Windows Vista and it says that it is designed for Win 95, 98, ME, XP, or 2000. Wouldn't that cause some problems if it doesn't even mentione Vista?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

Best not to
Let me see what else I can find
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:30 PM

Alright.

Thank you very much for your help.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 05:15 PM

They told me it is OK to use with Vista
The references to 98/XP only were for other programs listed at the bottom of the page
Mark
Posted Image

#8 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:46 PM

Ok, tried it out, but here's the thing...

When I right-click LSPFix and Run as Administrator it mentions that No Problems were found. I'm using the admin and only account on that computer.. I pressed finish and I still wasn't able to access the internet. It told me that no changes were necessary... So I tried restarting the computer to see if that helped and no luck. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

---

Now, if I just double click it without running as administrator, I get this..
Posted Image
It says Winsock 2 Registry Key could not be accessed or it's missing... If it's because I'm not running as administrator then that may be the reason it can't access it... But even if I do, it still hasn't fixed the internet issue. If in reality I am indeed missing the Winsock 2 Registry Key, then could you provide a link to it?

Edited by s1owcomputer, 16 April 2009 - 08:47 PM.

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:54 PM

If you are indeed missing a windsock key SFC.exe should fix it
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Other than that I am out of suggestions
Either a reformat/reinstall or possibly submit a HJT log:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Mark
Posted Image

#10 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:22 PM

Do you think if I restore to the day before the problem started using the SYSTEM RESTORE, would be able to solve the problem?

I only have two restore points left before the day the problem occurred! So please answer as soon as possible before those restore points disappear.

Thank you.

>>EDIT<<
Sorry, for editting so much.. But I want to get as much questions answered... And reformatting my system is something I really don't want to go through with. Anyway, do you think if I buy a USB (wirless) adapter for my desktop would I be able to connect to the internet? Or this computer wouldn't be able to find a connection at all?

And well, I scanned the computer with sfc.exe and it didn't ask me for any installation CDs and said this: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations". So that means I already have winsock. :thumbsup:

If nothing else works, I'll try a Hijackthis Log.

>>2ND EDIT<<
Well the system restore did no good... :flowers:

Edited by s1owcomputer, 17 April 2009 - 10:55 PM.

#11 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

If this is a tower and not a laptop, do the LED's light up when the LAN cable is plugged in?
Qther than that, my last post still stands
Sorry
Mark
Posted Image

#12 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2009 - 05:09 PM

Yes, it is a tower computer and if you mean when I plug in the ethernet (LAN) cable in the back of the computer then, yes, it does light up (yellow/orangey).

But.. If I buy a USB wireless adapter, do you still think I won't be able to connect to the internet??? :thumbsup:

>>EDIT<<

Well, I just need one more answer from you. After that answer and if you don't have any more suggestions, then please close this thread. I'm gonna try posting on the HijackThis boards. Thanks for your help. If you do indeed think I may be able to access the internet with a USB wireless adapter then that'll be better than nothing. If not.. Then I really don't know what else to do, reformatting will really be a pain considering I have so many important files on that computer that surpass a disc/flash drive limit (capacity)...

Edited by s1owcomputer, 18 April 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

I just don't know and I'd hate to see you spend money needlessly
Mark
Posted Image

#14 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2009 - 03:43 PM

I believe I have found my solution!

Here's what I did. I went to my Device manager. To Network Adapters and clicked on properties... Then I changed my Speed and duplex settings to 10 Mbps Half Duplex. And problem solved!!!

I'll probably try to check the speeds a bit, but 10 Mbps Half Duplex seems to have solved my internet problem at least.

Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it. And you can now close this thread. :thumbsup:

Edited by s1owcomputer, 20 April 2009 - 04:13 PM.

#15 s1owcomputer

s1owcomputer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2009 - 03:44 PM

It was a like a dream too... Apparently after an update that happened last night, I was ready to go to school and just shut down my computer. I come home from school today and find that I'm back at Limited Connectivity... :thumbsup: I just have the worst luck...

My IPv4 and IPv6 are both at the Limited, status..

I'm wondering... Could my driver be outdated? And could that be the cause of my problem? My Driver Date says 5/3/2007.

>>EDIT<<
I got it to work again... I really don't know how.. I just waited a few minutes my status was Local Only. I switched it back to 10 mbps for the Speed and my internet returned... I have no idea what's going on with my computer. I tried updating the driver (while online) and it said that I already had the latest version.

For some reason, I don't think this is going to be a permanent connection and I'm probably going to lose it again tomorrow and go through the same crap over again... I hope a solution is found soon.

Thanks again for the help.

Edited by s1owcomputer, 21 April 2009 - 05:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users