Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Laptop Screen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RhiannonA

RhiannonA

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:10 PM

I have a Dell XPS Laptop running Windows XP SP3 ..... screen is so dark that you can barely tell that it is working ... when I plug in an external monitor, the external monitor works fine ..... can this be a software setting?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Do you have your laptop set on a power-saving mode? Check the power settings. My netbook has a battery manager function that enables me to adjust the LCD brightness level when I'm not plugged in so that battery life is optimized.

You also might want to check the brightness settings that are accessible (probably) through your keyboard to make sure you haven't turned down the brightness on the screen by accident (a possibility, as I know a FN + F5 will do that on mine).

Edit after doing further research: FN + up arrow on the keyboard will increase your screen brightness. If that doesn't work, right-click on the battery on your taskbar, click on Power options, choose whatever power plan you are set on, change the brightness levels, choose to save, and that should work.

Since this system is running XP, I'm presuming this is not a new system. If it were and you have always had this problem and never been able to resolve the brightness issues, you need to contact Dell Technical Support. Your system is under warranty and there could be a problem with your display.

Edited by txtchr, 12 April 2009 - 03:31 PM.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:42 PM

The inverter or backlight is probably not working
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 RhiannonA

RhiannonA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

Computer is plugged in and screen is set to never turn off (not running in power saving mode).
Every now and then the Dell screen will come on at startup, but by the time it gets to the windows screen it will go dark. That's why I wondered if it could be software related.

Thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users