Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen of death upon boot into Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 IAmMonkeyManDan

IAmMonkeyManDan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my brother's laptop. The computer acts completely normal throughout the entire boot process and appears to load Windows fine. However, once Windows is loaded, everything is unresponsive except for the mouse. The mouse cursor moves but clicking on icons or buttons does nothing. About 15-30 seconds after Windows is up, a BSOD appears and the computer restarts. I've tried reading what the error message is but the computer restarts way too quickly to see what it says. No matter how many times you restart it always does the same thing. I tried booting into safe mode and safe mode with a command prompt and the same thing happened.

I've loaded up live copies of both Ubuntu and Knoppix and those have both worked perfectly.

I loaded up a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD and ran tests using memtest86+ and a drive fitness test made by IBM/Hitachi. Both of those ran without causing any errors. I also ran a CPU stress test to see if that would give any errors but that ran fine as well. It seems as if the major hardware components are fine and I'm beginning to suspect a virus. I know my brother downloads torrents from time to time so a virus is very likely.

The computer is running Windows XP home. I'm assuming it is updated as of a month ago when it stopped working but I don't know for sure since I don't know if he had Windows Update activated. I'm unable to run any diagnostics from within Windows so anything I run will have to be bootable by itself.

Thanks in advance for your help and let me know if you need any more information.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:37 PM

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 IAmMonkeyManDan

IAmMonkeyManDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Budapest, thanks for helping.

I ran "chkdsk /r" and here's a summary of the results:

Stage 1 - Verifying files
55808 file records processed - File verification completed
58 large file records processed
0 bad file records processed
0 EA records processed
0 reparse records processed

Stage 2 - Verifying indexes
185626 index entries processed
Index verification completed
5 unindexed files processed

Stage 3 - Verifying Security Descriptors
55808 security descriptors processed
Security descriptor verfication completed
3370 data files processed

Stage 4 - Verifying file data
55792 files processed
File data verification completed

Stage 5 - Verifying free space
17672962 free clusters processed
Free space verification is complete
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap
Windows has made corrections to the file system

97490420 KB total disk space
26658940 KB in 51375 files
14244 KB in 3372 indexes
0 KB in bad sectors
125388 KB in use by the system
65536 KB occupied by the log file
70691848 KB available on disk

4098 bytes in each allocation unit
24372605 total allocation units on disk
17672962 allocation units available on disk
Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I restarted the computer after running that and it booted into Windows, showed the desktop icons and background for about 5 seconds and then the icons disappeared. The background and mouse cursor are the only things showing now. No taskbar. The mouse cursor moves but clicking and the keyboard do nothing.

I restarted it a second time and this time got the bsod but it stayed on the screen.
It says:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.

What should I do now?

Thanks again!

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 08:09 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 IAmMonkeyManDan

IAmMonkeyManDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:08 PM

I tried to boot into Safe Mode and it stalled at Mup.sys for about 15 seconds before showing the bsod. This time the bsod had a full page of text but there was no way to read anything it said before the computer restarted. Any way to get it to stay up until I decide to reboot?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:15 PM

Boot back into the Recovery Console and try this command:

bootcfg /rebuild

You may receive a message that is similar to the following message:

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All): YES
Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu) WINDOWS
Enter Operating System Load Options: /fastdetect

Use the answers in BOLD.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 IAmMonkeyManDan

IAmMonkeyManDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:39 AM

I ran that command and now have two options to boot to, "WINDOWS" and "Microsoft Windows XP Home".

I booted to the first one normal and in safe mode and the same thing happened as before.

I booted to the second one normal and got a different bsod error:

STOP: d0000144 Unknown Hard Error
Unknown Hard Error

Booting into safe mode with the second boot option does the same thing it did before.

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

Boot back into the Recovery Console and try this command:

fixboot

Then type exit.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 IAmMonkeyManDan

IAmMonkeyManDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

Ran that command and everything is the same as it was before.

One thing though is that the first time I tried to get into the recovery console I got a bsod as the command prompt was coming up which flashed really quickly and all I could see was "Registry Error".

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:04 PM

Now try this command:

fixmbr

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 IAmMonkeyManDan

IAmMonkeyManDan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:17 PM

Same bsod after running that command.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:50 PM

I think this is your next step:

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users