Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speeding up XP

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 tim723

tim723

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

i know a few tweaks to increase performance of Windows XP. well here goes...

1. enter this in the run window without the quotations, and reboot. "FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1"
this disables last access timestamps that XP has. When every you execute a file, along with of course executing the file, XP creates a timestamp, which saves the time/date you did it. This isnt going to be very noticable, but every little bit adds up

2. turn off the indexing service(the search feature). this process is a bit of a memory hog, and most people know where the needed files are. there are alternatives to the windows search as well. to do this in run, type services.msc and change the startup of type of indexing service to disabled or manual.

3.add this information to the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>PriorityControl
on the top menu of the registry editor click Edit>New>DWORD Value, name it Win32PrioritySeparation and then make the hexadecimal value 26. this makes the CPU pay more attention to foreground core proccesses running, and less to background processes. 3 times as much

4. In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Session Manager>Memory Management and double click on DisablePagingExecutive and change the value to 1. next change the value of LargeSystemCache to 1. LargeSystemCache forces the operating system to allocate all of your RAM cept 4 MB as filesystem cache, and the 4mb left are used for diskcaching. DisablePagingExecutive restricts the core aspects of the OS from being sent to page file, and stored on RAM instead, which makes XP more responsive. OF course your gonna not have as much free ram, but if you have a decent amount installed(512+), this should not be a problem.a good way to see the effects of these tweaks is to fire up one of the microsoft office programs such as Word or Powerpoint, completely close it and then launch it again. IF the tweak worked properly the program should launch VERY fast. but dont forget to restart windows after registry changes or they wont take effect.

5. This one is hard for some to except, but the XP style GUI is laggier than the windows classic, even on computers with high-end graphics. go to Control panel>System, and under the advanced tab, click the settings button under performance, then the visual styles tab, and select adjust for best performance. check only the imporant boxes in the below window such as "smooth edges of screen fonts," and click OK. Windows will now look like Windows 2000, but it will run better.

hope these tips/tweaks help speed up XP for you, but remember it isnt always THAT noticable so dont hate me if you think you just wasted your time.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2005 - 01:20 AM

WARNING

Dont not follow this tweak unless you have 1 gigabyte of ram or more!!!!!! This can cause major operating system instability without alot of memory.

"4. In the registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Session Manager>Memory Management and double click on DisablePagingExecutive and change the value to 1. next change the value of LargeSystemCache to 1. LargeSystemCache forces the operating system to allocate all of your RAM cept 4 MB as filesystem cache, and the 4mb left are used for diskcaching. DisablePagingExecutive restricts the core aspects of the OS from being sent to page file, and stored on RAM instead, which makes XP more responsive. OF course your gonna not have as much free ram, but if you have a decent amount installed(512+), this should not be a problem.a good way to see the effects of these tweaks is to fire up one of the microsoft office programs such as Word or Powerpoint, completely close it and then launch it again. IF the tweak worked properly the program should launch VERY fast. but dont forget to restart windows after registry changes or they wont take effect."

Edited by scarlett, 29 June 2005 - 01:42 PM.

#3 trainier

trainier

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

I have XP Pro SP2 on a Dell Latitude D600 with 512 MB of RAM.
Applied all changes recommended in this post.

I'm amazed at the improvement results.
Thanks a bunch Tim

#4 tim723

tim723
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:53 AM

awesome!! your very welcome
Posted Image

#5 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:47 AM

Techsomething, I would like to use these tweaks, but I was wondering if yours could have an adverse effect on gaming, or just the opposite. I have 1GB if RAM.

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#6 tim723

tim723
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:46 AM

it wont make a difference in gaming
Posted Image

#7 Lanscader

Lanscader

• Members
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:54 AM

Oh, sorry Tim. I didn't realize he quoted you! :thumbsup:

Thanx for the tips. Applying them now.

Lanscader

"Sir Lord Baron von Vader-han?" ~ Eddie Izzard

#8 tim723

tim723
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2005 - 01:13 AM

thats ok, i just hope that you guys see improvements!
Posted Image

#9 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 13 July 2005 - 02:10 AM

Hey, I have tryed the steps as you say twice and each time windows restarts everytime its finished the loading screen!

Then i have to use GoBack- Wich is a VERY usful program- to revert back.

I have Win XP SP2, 2.4Ghz Intel, 1gig or ram, nvidia Geforce FX 256....

Is there somthing im doing wrong? thx

#10 trainier

trainier

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:49 AM

Hey, I have tryed the steps as you say twice and each time windows restarts everytime its finished the loading screen!

Then i have to use GoBack- Wich is a VERY usful program- to revert back.

I have Win XP SP2, 2.4Ghz Intel, 1gig or ram, nvidia Geforce FX 256....

Is there somthing im doing wrong? thx

Are you getting "Blue screen"s ?

#11 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:15 PM

no im not getting a blue screen, just right when windows is finished loading it reboots. then i have to restor w/ goback. thx

#12 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

Could it be than im not restarting after each and every step?

#13 legoman786

legoman786

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:08 PM

maybe, because u are making very drastic changes in the registry. it has to accept a little bit at a time. that is why when you install a new age game it has to reboot because it made changes to the registry.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
- Rick Cook

#14 Racoonslayer

Racoonslayer

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:44 PM

Ok, thx I got it to work. took a long time tho- restart, restart, restart!
Great results!!

#15 Snoman

Snoman

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2005 - 03:11 PM

dang this stuff look really helpful and cool, but I ONLY HAVE 256MB of RAM :thumbsup: :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users