Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is getting SLOW and SLOW day by day

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 abc12345xyz

abc12345xyz

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:28 AM

Dear gurus,

Problems in two desktop computers. Both of these computer are getting slow and slow everyday. I don't know whether there is any virus or not. And in one computer flash is not working in Internet Explorer, it is working in firefox. Please help me to solve these problems.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:34 AM

If your computer seems to be slow, please refer to Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 abc12345xyz

abc12345xyz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

Very sorry for late reply.

I went through on that list. I don't have any browser problem, internet is working fine, only computer is slow. I tried to do , disk fragmentation but in two hours it just did 1% only. Will it take that long time?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:46 AM

Defragmentation is a process that rearranges and reassembles your files on your hard disk. Over time, Windows will slowly fragment the files on the hard drive and store parts of each file in random physical locations. As this happens, the files will take longer and longer to access so deframentation becomes necessary to improve performance. See the The Importance of Disk Defragmentation.

The length of time it takes to complete deframentation depends on your operating system, size of the hard drive, number of files to defrag and defragmentation utility used to perform the task but it can take several hours. Once you start the defrag process, you should leave the computer alone. Defragmenting utilizes a lot of system resources and will slow the computer. Although the process can be paused or stopped, it is best just leave the computer alone for however long it takes. There are third party utilities that work much faster than the built-in Windows Disk Defragmenter. The Disk Defragmenter screen allows you two options - Analyze and Defragment. Analyze will let you know whether the computer thinks it is time to defrag the hard drive and Defragment begins the process immediately.

The main thing that keeps defrag from running successfully is having other programs running in the background including your screensaver and anti-virus program. While using the Defrag utility you may receive a message every few minutes saying your computer is currently running other processes that cause the Defrag to restart. Since Defrag changes the bits of data on your hard drive, it does not allow other programs to run at the same time. Turn off the former by right-clicking the Desktop, choose Properties > Screensaver tab and choose None. If after turning off all running programs, you still find that the defrag routine is constantly interrupted, you can defrag from safe mode. Also read How to Defrag: Prepare Your Computer for Defragmentation. Vista users should refer to Understanding Windows Vista Disk Defragmenting Utility.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users