Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ESET Security won't update

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 carrie marie

carrie marie

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:56 AM

I have version 3.0.650.0 if that means anything. The last update I received was on the 7th. I clicked just now on my last update and it went to the ESET site and listed all the updates. There are updates from the 8th-11th. How do I get it to work again? I click update and it says "update is not necessary-the virus signature database is current.

I had a trojan a few days ago but got rid of it. Could it have been that and it disabled the updates?

I'm CarrieC by the way..I forgot my username. I thought it was CarrieC but I can't log on so I just made a new one. lol

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 carrie marie

carrie marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:05 AM

I went to advanced setup and chose "choose automatically" under update server. Then I clicked update again and it seemed to work. But the database version is still the old one. Anyone have any ideas?

edit:I keep clicking update and it says "general compiler error."

Edited by carrie marie, 12 April 2009 - 06:12 AM.

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:26 AM

ESET disables updates for cracked or patched illegal versions. It may be possible that virus has messed with your ESET installation. So why not re-install ESET and try to update again? Also check if you have entered username and password correctly in the update configuration.

#4 carrie marie

carrie marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:15 PM

Only problem is my brother installed the thing. haha You'd have to have a CD with it on there, right? Because I don't have that. I'll ask him about it. :thumbsup:

#5 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:04 PM

For LEGITIMATE versions of Eset programs you do NOT need a CD, especially that it's likely totally out of date. You can download the ESS from the Eset site and then enter the licence key they gave you when you bought it or when you registered by email.
FYI, the current NOD32 AV definitions are #4003, and most likely the same in their security suite.

#6 carrie marie

carrie marie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:45 PM

I kept trying to update it again and it finally downloaded todays update! Maybe it was a glitch or something. But thanks for your replies. :thumbsup:

#7 Cluless

Cluless

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:57 AM

I have ESET and my last update was the 4th of April. It does update on a regular basis but no too frequently.

#8 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:53 PM

Have you seen this official ESET forum at wilders?
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89

I use Eset's NOD32 and it updates twice a day like clockwork.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users