Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video card compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Luke Tennison

Luke Tennison

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:25 AM

I was out to get a new monitor today, and was asking one of the employes opinion on the clarity of one of the monitors they had, and he told me that the nvidea geforce 8600 gt video card (the one I currently have) isn't compatible with widescreen monitors (16:9 ratio) is that true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:37 AM

no its not, not at all. that 8600Gt should have no problem with a widescreen format. in fact, the max resolution of the 8600 GT I believe, is 2560 x 1600 and everything below. now, with that single card, running at high resolution with big games is going to absolutly kill your framerate, but for your average computing use and movie watching, even running at 1920 x 1080 will be just fine. or even 1680 by 1050 (I think thats a common resolution of modern monitors). but yes, that 8600 should handle widescreen, or even the full 1080p of HD glory, just fine, only time its gonna hurt you is running big games like crysis.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Luke Tennison

Luke Tennison
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 03:47 PM

So the picture will still take up the whole screen? (no black bars on top or sides etc.) All it will do is slow down the framerate on games?

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:05 PM

It will display on and fill the whole screen fine.

What's the resolution of the screen? If the resolution is higher than your current one, it will put more stress on your graphics card, resulting in lesser frame rate. However, you will be able to run the games at a lower resolution, but they won't display as sharply.

A 15" screen running at 1024X768 will be better looking than 1024X768 on any screen that's bigger.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users