Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Home boot problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 krimson

krimson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:18 AM

Long story...

Whenever I tried to boot windows, it would stop at the welcome screen (the Windows XP logo). I looked up how to fix this problem, and found a few different options.

One option was to fix the problem which was caused by a program like MagicISO or Alcohol. Considering I had both of those programs, I thought that maybe that was what was causing the problem. So I logged on in safe mode and deleted both of those programs and the virtual drives that I had created with them, but with no success at solving the problem.

Another option was to edit the boot.ini file by adding "/noguiboot/sos/bootlog" to the end to create a boot log which would then reveal the troublesome driver. It would also not show the XP logo at all, and just show the system files which were loading. Once I did that, I then rebooted my computer. This time it stopped loading at the list of system files, and didn't go past there at all. I decided to wait because I figured that maybe it would load with patience. After about 10 minutes of waiting, the computer restarted and stopped in the same place.

This is where I'm at now....
Someone suggested that I use a windows boot disk to boot from there and save my files, and then format my c: drive where the problem definitely was. I can't find my boot disk, so I downloaded the boot file to a floppy disk in an attempt to boot window from the floppy. I inserted the floppy before trying to turn the computer on. Once it was booted, it seemed that the floppy did nothing, and windows didn't boot from it. The screen stopped at the list of system files again.

Someone PLEASE help me!! I don't know what else to do. If I can just access my files and back them up onto my second hard drive, before formatting my computer, I would be happy. I'm really desperate to fix this problem. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

You posted a number of words...but I don't really see anything defining "the problem".

Details matter...there are all kinds of situations which users define as "boot problem", based on what I see here and on Google.

As for saving your files...I don't want to lecture (actually, I don't mind such) but that's the purpose of doing routine, periodic backups...to save/protect files deemed essential BEFORE catastophe of some type strikes.

Have you tried simply removing the hard drive from the system that won't boot...slaving it to a known-good, protected system...and moving wanted data files off that drive?

System manufacturer and system model, please? Have you tried the known manufacturer methods of repairing the system or recovering data files or whatever?

Last, but not least...can you post the links to these attempted solutions of yours? It would be nice to actually read what was suggested and why and by whom.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users