Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

restoring a corrup registry value from another HD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jakalope

jakalope

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:39 PM

while removing a few keys in my registry i foolishly added quotations around a value in the registry of my 2nd pc.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

the true value is:
Userinit = C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,

i did this:
Userinit = "C:\WINNT\system32\userinit.exe,"

now when rebooting my pc it continues to try and load my personal settings over and over without success.

i know exactly what i need to change/remove but i'm not sure how or even IF i can gain access to the registry from the other hard drive to edit this value on the pc i am currently writing this message on.

is it possible to access the "Software, Software.log, Software.sav" files from the corrupt registry and view/edit them through regedit on my current pc, then replace?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:03 PM

You can try booting up the corrupt computer and when it fails to load your personal settings press control alt delete.

This should take you into the account your trying to log onto but without userinit.exe the explorer shell will not load. Nevertheless dont mind the explorer, click file on task manager and then click new task (run)

In the box that pops up type(or paste)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

this will load up the system restore tool, and you can restore to an earlier time and make the correct registry change.

Or......

You can reformat the harddrive and start new

#3 jakalope

jakalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

no dice. it just keeps reloading the "Loading your personal settings..." prompt =(

while the computer is trying to load i can access the files in that C: drive from this pc but unfortunately i cannot connect via the Network Registry option in regedit. is it possible to run the command "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe" from this machine to work on the corrupt pc? if so, how would that be possible?

"Or......

You can reformat the harddrive and start new"

hehe, that's exactly what i thought at first, but i like to try and beat things instead of taking the simple solution... especially since i found the exact key that i screwed up in the first place =)

thanks again!

#4 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:21 PM

You can try booting up the corrupt computer and when it fails to load your personal settings press control alt delete.

This should take you into the account your trying to log onto but without userinit.exe the explorer shell will not load. Nevertheless dont mind the explorer, click file on task manager and then click new task (run)

In the box that pops up type(or paste)
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe

this will load up the system restore tool, and you can restore to an earlier time and make the correct registry change.

Or......

You can reformat the harddrive and start new

Edited by Techsomething, 17 June 2005 - 11:26 PM.

#5 tim723

tim723

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:25 PM

do you mean doing a REPAIR install?
Posted Image

#6 jakalope

jakalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

great Techsomething, i really appreciate the help. unfortunately i lent out my win2k disk to a friend and will have to pick up tomorrow. i'll give that a shot and definately post my results.

thanks again!

#7 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:27 PM

Heres something you can do, you just reintsall windows and keep all your data. When running the windows setup wizard where it says "hit enter to install a fresh copy of ...." you know instead just hit just reinstall windows and all it does is reinstall windows and not delet your applications.

About your question above, if your directly connected to the pc in this case i dont belive it would work because both computers have to accept the invite to connect and you cant access explorer.exe so you cant recive the invite so thats not really gonna work.

If you can indeed access the C:\ drive from another computer
why dont you try accessing the control panel from the computer that wokrs, and disabling any accounts so that whent he pc does start up it doesnt need to load any personal settings. Userinit still needs to startup explorer.exe but you can manually run that if you can get to the point where its just a blank screen and your wallpaper in the backround. See if that works

Ok best of luck.....keep trying

#8 jakalope

jakalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:40 PM

i was able to gain access to the control panel and disable my personal User. it got a little further on loading by asking for network access... now i believe it's hanging on the Administrator profile and i cannot disable that User... going to keep trying =)

#9 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:49 PM

Wait, so youve disabled the account and now when it styarts up do you get your blank wallpaper or no?

#10 jakalope

jakalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:54 PM

i think i just realized that when i access control.exe from my other pc's files it opens control.exe but it's adjusting the settings on the pc i'm working on. it disabled the user on THIS pc not the one with the corrupt file.

when disabled that User it continued to attempt to log in but just asked if i wanted to restore connections. probably irrelevent to the solution.

#11 jakalope

jakalope
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

i had to reinstall windows. when i tried the repair options it still hung up when it tried loading personal settings.. guess it didn't alter corrupt registry setting with the repair tool.

thanks again for your help =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users