Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Am I getting better?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 efizzer

efizzer

• Members
  • 360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:17 PM

Y'know... I look at these other sites with these kids who are so unbelieveably awesome at graphics and I wonder, do I suck? I think I need some esteem boosters.... i'm getting depressed..... am i slipping or am i getting better?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I know my bleeping friends will be honest with me.
Posted Image

We're going to make the merry-go-round go faster, so everyone needs to hang on tighter-just to keep from being thrown to the wolves.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:30 AM

Yeah, your work sucks! :thumbsup:

Strange though, there seem to be a few people very happy to use the sigs you made for them...

I'm still trying to make the time to learn GIMP and before that played around with some 3D stuff. When I was looking for tutorials I found a site full of all this anime/manga 'my sig is a mini-series' stuff - reading their threads is impossible because everyone had five animated signatures covering half the screen, flashing and blinking and doing all this ninja swordplay. When I found the tutorial section it turned out they were all written (if you call it that) by a 14 year old. Not that there is anything intrinsically wrong with that - he may have been a 14yo graphic genius. It didn't read like it though...

As I'm sure someone will be able to tell you, more eloquently than I can, that doubting the quality of your work is a good thing for an artist - it shows you care and you want to improve, both of which are part of having a passion for something. I can't see much wrong with having a passion for creative work so keep it up! :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

I'm an old coot, but liked all three, especially the first. Nice work.

OBTW, some of us think Rimmer communicates with :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:, so his opinion may not be unbiased :inlove:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2005 - 08:57 AM

An artist is always critical of thier work. You have artistic talent. And along with it the artists so called, "sensibilities" ;)

Take heart efizzer, in what I have to say. You have and will continue to create great work!!!
Posted Image

#5 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2005 - 10:26 AM

I don't have an artistic bone in my body.
My Avatar is a picture of my cat, and my signature is from a site that was mentioned here... my alias...my cats name is Joshua...go figure..
:thumbsup:

So to me, everything looks great...good job :flowers:
JC

#6 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:45 PM

I like that DMC one, but it might be better without the "never cry" statement at the bottom, and maybe make the left colors have more of a redish/darker tint to it to give it the feel of the DMC series.

The first one is awesome. The only thing i'd suggest is making the text a little more readible. The font is a little too dark for my tastes, but it does have a nice mysterious feel to it.

These are just personal opinions. As you can see, the most in-depth graphix work i can accomplish is in my sig and avatar...... :thumbsup:

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 25 June 2005 - 12:47 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:03 PM

Art/Graphics are good, but loose the text.
Any creative person, it seems to me, is never quite satisfied with their work, and keeps revising it or developing the first theme with interesting variations.
What really counts is whether you are happy with what you have done, and have said what you wanted to say.
Regards,
John

@Rimmer. I have seen much the same, especially on many blogs, where all the action and "art" make reading text next to impossible. Clutter isn't art, and sometimes a minimalist approach is better. I don't quite see why putting the Cistine Chapel ceiling into a 19-inch CRT display makes much sense.

Edited by jgweed, 25 June 2005 - 01:50 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 lucent

lucent

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:08 AM

What..???!!! are you daft?? You were good when you first started! If someone starts off with that amount of skill it is only a natural progression to get better. To answer this, you need to reflect back to when you first started playing with photoshop. Getting better is not only about the end product (in which you have matured in creativity at an awesome rate) but also about efficiency. The more efficient you are with the software the more creative control you have. Now get your butt onto deviantART and make a name for yourself there as well! Also I would love to see what you could do with 3D as well....have a play with Blender!

P.S Call me biased but i still love the sig you did for me the best! And i still thank you every time i see it. Cheers dude, never doubt yourself, it will just lead to hesitation.

Edited by lucent, 28 June 2005 - 12:24 AM.

Posted Image
Special thanks to efizzer for the signature

#9 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:50 AM

I second all of the above emotions! First to last.

Lucent, your sig is truly beautiful! It still takes my breath away.

Deviant's watch out. :thumbsup: A new star is being born.
Posted Image

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:32 AM

Lucent's is awesome!
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users