Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need a new computer

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:59 PM

alright, well the time has come that i need to get a new computer. It's been probably 6 years since i've done this.

I wan't to buy or build a computer that will last me another 5 or more years without constant upgrading or replacing stuff. The computer i had, all i had to do over the years was upgrade the ram once, and the video card went bac about a year and a half ago, but now something went wrong again. i guess i could figure out what the problem is but i don't think it's worth it to put the money into this machine any more.

here is what i currently have.

generic aluminum case
atx power supply 430 watts
i'm not sure about the mother board
4 rear usb ports, and two up front
i can't remember what specific processor but it was an AMD and it was 1.8ghz
msi nx6200ax video card w/ 256md ddr2 w/ tv and dvi output
it came with 512mb ram, and i upgraded it to 1gb, and i know it was time to upgrade to 2
3 1/2 in floppy dive
cd drive, i can't remember if it is a rw drive(shows how often i used it for that, haha)
a seagate 80g hard drive
and i was running windows xp home

i'd like to re use anything that i can if i go the route of building a new computer.
here is what i figure i can use
the case
the power supply(but probably not)
the extra usb's
the floppy drive
the cd drive
i'd really like to use xp, but as far as i under stand is, if i want to use more than 3g of ram, i need a 64 bit OS, so i will probably have to buy a new OS like vista 64 bit

I'm on a budget here, i'd like to only spend 400, but i could go up to 600
and it's probably going to limit me alot if i have to purchase a new os

I've seen plenty of pc's in the stores that seemed like they would do me well for about 600, but ones that i would like to buy run about 900 and up.

so here is the stuff that i figure i need to buy, but i don't know too much about the different options i would have.

mother board
processor
cd/dvd rw drive
video card
HDD
ram
vista 64bit

now to let you know what i use the computer for...
i like to stream movies from the computer onto the tv, all the shows from abc, fox, nbc that are free online...
i dabble in some graphic work and photo editing, and used to do some video editing
i play some browser based games that are not big deal, but randomly pick up a multi player pc game here and there
i store alot of music and pictures
other than that just a lot of internet browsing.

so if you guys can throw out your opinions or ideas on what might suit me that would help me a ton so i feel like i'm not just taking a stab in the dark. I don't know everything about computers, but i'm pretty comfortable doing most stuff and if i can't do it alone, i'm doing it by instruction from someone who knows what they are doing.

well i just keep babbling how so i'll go ahead and leave it at this
tty guys later

thanks in advance

Edited by dempseyjosh, 11 April 2009 - 09:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:24 PM

This is probably one of the best requests for a new computer I've seen in a while, you listed your budget range, use, and what you're comfortable with doing. Anyway, a $600 PC is easily doable especially since you're not a heavy gamer. After looking over your specs, you may not be able to reuse most of what is there, most likely the case can be reused if it is a mid-ATX tower case or higher, the CD drive can also be reused along with the floppy. I do suggest getting a newer graphics card though. Well, here's a suggested configuration:

Case: Unnecessary since you already have your own. Make sure it is an ATX mid-tower or better.

Power Supply: Also don't need since many mainstream setups don't need heaps of power.

Motherboard: ASUS M3N72-D AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - A good motherboard that can be upgraded for SLI and up to 8GB of RAM if you so choose. $129

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz - One of AMD's newest processors. This is a triple core processor based on the newly released Phenom II series. This means it has greater efficiency and lower energy consumption. The beauty of this CPU is that it is faster than a dual core, but not as much as a quad core. A great middle ground. You will most likely need to update the BIOS prior to using it, but that is a simple process. $134

Video Card: EVGA 512-P3-N973-TR GeForce 9800 GT - Given your requirements, this is a good GPU as it is much newer. It also requires a 400W PSU or higher, which you've got. $124 (Before $20 mail-in rebate)

RAM: OCZ 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 - Your motherboard can support 8GB of RAM, but given your budget, you can get 4GB. Later, you can then upgrade, if you want to, to the full 8GB. $47

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB - A big drive to store all your music and pictures. Your old drive is too small and, most likely, IDE. $90

Optical Drive: Reusing your old one. However, the OS disc is a DVD so make sure your optical drive can read DVD's.

Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM - You need a 64-bit OS to run all 4GB of RAM. $100

Total Cost: $626 (Before rebates)

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:43 PM

this is a decent AMD/ATI based build. Im going on some assumptions here, that you need a computer thats faster then what you have, but you dont need uber powerful system.
As far as operating systems go, they do make a 64 bit version of windows XP professional you can find it here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16832116378. though, if your not opposed to vista you might try and find vista instead.

Im making an assumption here, and assuming you have a mid to full size tower, otherwise this board wont work and youll need a micro atx board or a new case. This motherboard is solid quality, high end AMD chipset, and crossfire enabled to allow for future expansion, as well as lots of extra options availabe for future expansion.
motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128382 89.99

This is a good CPU choice. Im going on my assumptions here that you want power on a budget, this is a Dual core processor based on the phenom I architecture. It has 3 levels of cache, and for a dual core it is extremely powerful. AMD wise, the 6400 will barely outperform this, and to beat it you will need an actual quad core phenom. and price wise, its decently priced. I have used this CPU in a similar build for my dad, an it runs extremely well.
CPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103300 59.99

this isnt the fastest memory available for your board, but to use faster you will most likely need a quad, and this is solid ram. I use this in my own system, and Ive used it in my dads as well, and it comes with a USB drive and 3dmarkvantage. You can get the actual memory on its own, but after rebate its only 4 dollars cheaper.
memory
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220354 59.99 with 25 dollar rebate

750 gig Hard drive, good reviews, I use this brand in my own system. Cant go wrong with it. :D
hard drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136150 59.99

I would recomend a new powersupply, and this one should power your system easy and allow for future expansion without a hitch. good reviews, both on newegg and several other sites.
Power supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817371015 79.99

This card should do you great, I put ATI saphire in most of my rigs, and they work well, good quality, video cards for a decent price. Now your not going to be able to handle crysis on full settings, but from your post Im guessing you dont do a lot of heavy duty gaming and this one will run crysis just not maxed out, and will run all the games you mentioned without breaking a sweat, and most games out there, just not your huge games like crysis. And in the future, if you decide you need to do a truckload of gaming you can add another one in crossfire or upgrade then.
video card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814102805 54.99 with 10 dollar rebate.

total cost: $404.94 before shipping.
these parts will give you a decent rig. Not high end, but definetly powerful and enough to last you awhile with room for future upgrades to keep up with the times. keep in mind this is just the parts for the computer-not the OS or monitor/keyboard/mice. You can pick up Xp pro 64 bit for about 140 bucks, like listed above, or vista premium 64 bit for the same price, or vista basic 64 bit for about 90 bucks. anyway, this is my suggestion for a system. but, in case, if your case is a micro atx, this board I have used in a build for my dad http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128379 and should work fine, or a new case like this would be a good choice. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811164117 make sure you pick up some fans for this build to if you dont have some already.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:04 PM

ok, the questions/concerns i have from the info you give me is...

i'm not sure how to check out which tower it is, but it is full size so i imagine it has enough room for whatever i need, if that was the concern
the video card says that it had an hdtv output, what kind of output is that? looking at the photos i just see the svideo and the two dvi outputs. right now i just hook up the computer with a vga cable to my tv, hd would be cool
the ram is so cheap i might just start out with 8gb
i haven't read up on the difference between IDE and SATA drives, i'll have to do that soon. but although 750gb is waaaaayyy more than i would need, it is probably worth the extra couple dollars to get so much more room in case i ever wanted it.
my optical drive does read dvd's, so i'm good there

thanks for getting me started though. i've already been looking and comparing things because of the info you gave me. Before that i didn't know where to begin.

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:09 PM

the HDTV hookup is via adaptor, and you can hook it up to a VGA monitor via adaptor. as far as tower size, the one I listed at the bottom is a mid-ATX tower, you need one that size or larger for a regular full ATX motherboard like the first I listed and the one DJB recomended, and one that size is recomended for better cooling anyway. Sata is better then IDE in every way, its faster (3 gb/s transger rate) and since you dont need the annoying IDE ribbon, it blocks less airflow for better cooling, easier to install, and does away with making sure you have the master/slave jumpers set right. in fact, for best cooling you can pick up a SATA DVD burner from newegg for about 25 bucks more, and you can get rid of those IDE ribbons. I did that in my system, and it does make a difference. and as for the 750 gig hard drive it was about the same price as the 500 gig HDs, and since youve filled up ur external so bad, I figured for the same price you might as well get the bigger HD. but you can go smaller if you want to save a couple bucks, you can get a 320 gig one here for about 49.99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136098

Edited by the_patriot09, 11 April 2009 - 11:11 PM.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:14 PM

There are differences between IDE and SATA, mainly the rate that they send data and the cache contained within. The SATA drive is faster all around than a standard IDE. Vista Home Premium 64-bit OEM costs less than XP 64-bit OEM by about $40. Also know that Vista 64-bit is a better implementation of x64 and is more compatible with more types of hardware and software than XP 64-bit. The PC the_patriot laid out is closer to your $400 mark and is good for that price, but the one I listed has better performance. One thing to know, the memory the_patriot selected is not fast enough for the motherboard. If you go with the $400 PC, get DDR2-1200 or DDR2-1066 memory, though with AM2+ processors like the Kuma you would be better off with DDR2-1200.

Edited by DJBPace07, 11 April 2009 - 11:15 PM.

3939.png

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:21 PM

the memory I laid down will work with it however, and faster memory will not work with a dual core CPU. thats why I listed it :D at least, I dont think they will-I know the windsor cores dont work with stock 1200 ram, I assumed the 7750 kuma is the same. since the 7750 is based on the phenom architecture, then I suppose it might work with faster ram. if it does, faster memory would be a good choice, like this here http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220334.

picard5.jpg

#8 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:26 PM

ok well here is for patriot now.

what i'm looking to get out of this build is definitely something faster than i have now, but my biggest concern is that i don't want to feel like i need to upgrade anything for atleast 3 years. (seems reasonable to me)

for only about 100 dollars savings over the set up that djb posted, i would feel a little more confident in his set up that i wouldn't need to upgrade or get a new computer as soon

the only thing i did notice quickly is that the mother board you chose can support more ram, which is always a good thing i guess

I'm also assuming that most people would suggest that i switch to 64bit vista, and not stick with what i have, or go to 64bit xp
thanks for taking the time to help me out

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:27 PM

I thought AM2+ CPU's (like the Kuma) required faster memory than AM2 CPU's. If the faster RAM doesn't work, it will downclock itself to lower speeds. Patriots build does support 16GB of memory, but finding inexpensive 4GB sticks is very difficult. Most users opt for 2GB in either two or four slots.

Edited by DJBPace07, 11 April 2009 - 11:28 PM.

3939.png

#10 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:32 PM

you could be right DJB, I was just going on the AM2+ board I purchased for my dad that said I needed a quad core to use ddr2 1066 or higher. but, the kuma is based on the phenom design, and all the windsor core CPUs are regular AM2 CPUs, and the 1066 ram I just posted isnt much higher then the 800, and your right, even if it doesnt support it, it will, generally, just downclock it. I recomend Patriot, cuz I use it in all my builds and never had a problem with any of it, it performs miracles in my opinion, I swear by the stuff. and gigabyte and patriot seem to have excellent compatibilty. :D and yeah, you dont really need 16 gig anyway, that motherboard I listed has 4 slots, you can put 8 gigs of 2 gig modules without any issue and for less money, and 4 gigs is usually more then most people need right now, 8 gig will last a long ways into the future. :D

Edited by the_patriot09, 11 April 2009 - 11:33 PM.

picard5.jpg

#11 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:40 PM

well thanks for the help so far, i'll probably come back and post deals that i can find, and maybe you guys can let me know if i'm better off getting that for the price or just go ahead and build one of these systems

#12 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 03:51 PM

ok, here's a question i've come up with. Should I.....

keep xp and buy windows 7 64 bit when it comes out

or..
should i just go ahead and buy vista 64bit now?

#13 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

If you're willing to wait a few weeks, you can use the Windows 7 RC1 64-bit when Microsoft releases it to the public and then replace it with the full RTM version of Windows 7 when it is released. Remember, the RC1 is a pre-release and will have to be wiped out when either it expires or you install the RTM. Also, since RC1 is a pre-release, it may not be as stable as the RTM, though if it is like the beta, it will be extremely stable. You can use XP but keep some things in mind: 1st, mainstream support ends soon. 2nd, if you're using an OEM version of XP you cannot move it to a different PC. Microsoft defines a PC based on its motherboard, so if you get a new motherboard, it is the same to them as a new PC. You can still install and activate XP, but you would technically be in violation of the license.

3939.png

#14 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:31 PM

I have been beta testing windows 7 for a few weeks now. Its defiantly worth the wait. No problems with the OS only vendor drivers which is being updated daily. The only thing I haven't got connected is my Finger print scanner and they said they will support Windows 7 when the Full version is released and I WILL have to buy a new version :thumbsup: . Also no Nero support either will have to purchase a newer version then the one I have.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#15 dempseyjosh

dempseyjosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:01 PM

well i ordered everything today. I should get it friday and have it all put together over the weekend sometime. The only concerns any one has expressed is my power supply not being enough or supporting the video card.
I'm sticking with xp until windows 7 comes out, so i know it will only recognize 3gb of ram. how does it go about that when it is two sticks of 2gb?
then i'll want to transfer stuff over from my old hard drive, is this going to be weird since they will both have xp loaded on them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users