Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer config and price

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ceasar71

ceasar71

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

Hi all, I am having Dell config a system for me with the following. I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the price for performance. I can purchase this system for $932 (that includes all taxes and shipping). i'm trying to find out if there are any similar systems out there with similar features that would be substantially less. Any advice would help. Thanks everyone.

Studio Mini-Tower Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q8200 (4MB L2, 2.33GHz, 1333FSB)
Memory 8GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 4DIMMs
Monitors No Monitor
Video Cards nVidia GeForce 9800GT
Hard Drive 750GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache
Network Card Integrated 10/1000 Ethernet
Optical Drive Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 16x DVD+/-RW w/ dbl layer write capable
Sound Card Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Speakers Bose Companion 2 Series II Multimedia Speaker System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

For $1000 you can build yourself a better machine. I would say that's an okay system overall, to really harness the power of a quad core processor, you should get a better GPU like the GeForce 9800GTX.

3939.png

#3 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:46 PM

I agree, for that much money you can do better. and what motherboard are you looking at, and where are you purchasing the parts from?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:30 AM

I agree, for that much money you can do better. and what motherboard are you looking at, and where are you purchasing the parts from?

I think its a Dell setup so it cannot be too good.

3939.png

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:31 AM

lol of course, I saw that reading through it now. Dell always seems to want to charge a pretty penny, for a far less performance system.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

I don't care for Dell either, but at least now Micro Center carries some replacement parts. I wonder if you replace parts in a Dell will it VOID their warranty?? Anyway, a custom computer can be built to your specific needs, I agree with Patriot, Cheers! Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#7 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 08:02 AM

I come up with a ballpark of $700-$750 in parts (case/PSU as well) plus an OS (I did budget for a lot better video card though).

Some people want preassembled systems with a warranty, I can't knock that. It is a shame to see that CPU sitting at 2.3ghz all day instead of cranked up to where it should be though.

Oh, drop the soundcard unless you really need it for some purpose. Money saved on that equals an even better videocard or CPU.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#8 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:22 AM

I use a local Intel dealer. One who builds computers for business, schools, police dept. ect. You can sit down and talk to a person with what you want a computer to do. With that help you will be able to pick and choose what you need and or want and the price. You will find that there prices are very close to Dell; apple to apple. With a little home work of your own on the internet you will get a good idea of what tower, power supply,video card, ram, ect. It worked for me. I chose the brand of my ram,power supply, tower and video card. Dell IMHO will install the cheep ones.
P/S. I don't work for Intel or any dealer.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:22 PM

If you're willing to try, you will save more money by building it yourself. Or, you can get the parts and have a knowledgeable friend help assemble the thing. It is not that difficult to build a PC, just do your homework first. These boards are a great resource and the members can help if you need it.

3939.png

#10 buononut1

buononut1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 12:19 PM

I built a PC for myself in Sept of 2007 for about $1,000. Not as powerful as this, but that's expected after 18 months. It was simple and fun.
Dell is fast, reliable, and fairly user-friendly ordering experience. Ordering from any retailer is nice because you don't HAVE TO build it yourself; that's partially what you are paying for. When building your own, you have to factor in the cost of Windows O/S (~$100), then time to assemble, etc. Plus, you maintain it yourself (warranty = YOU). It doesn't sound like you have the experience or time to do so, which is fine. So with that in mind, I'd ask specifically for other retailers you could go to for perhaps a better deal.

Note that a PC cannot fully utilize 8GB of RAM unless a 64-bit version of an Operating System is installed. At best, WinXP/Vista 32-bit can only use 3.4 GB, or something like that. Dell gives you the option to choose 64-bit O/S, and I think it is the same price as 32-bit. One draw back of a 64-bit O/S is some capatibility issues.

Good Luck,
_Mike

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,761 posts
  •  

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:12 AM

actually, you can choose a 64 bit OS if you custom make to. You can order everything from XP professional 64 bit to windows vista 64 bit and everything inbetween (all xp versions below xp pro 64 bit do not have 64 bit versions) and still save yourself a pretty penny. You know, percentage wise, of all the computers that I have serviced over the years, the vast majority of early part failure I have had have been with prebuilts, and generally right after the warranty expires, then your paying 3 times the amount of the part to get it fixed. among the prebuilts, the worst ones (in my experience) has been acer laptops and gateways, and the best prebuilt computers I have used are probably HP and Toshiba, as far as quality, and as for customer service, HP customer service rocks. as for custom builts, when I built my computer-I paid roughly 1500 dollars for it, and I then got on the web and priced it from manufacturers, and got quotes anywhere between 5-10,000 dollars for a similar build. OUCH. granted, that was a lil over a year ago, but thats still a whopper for a savings, and most of your good parts manufacturers do have their own warranties, and sell extended warranties for a fraction of the cost of most prebuilt companies. For example, the memory in my computer has a lifetime warranty, and the CPU a 5 year warranty. so, you can have warranty + cheaper price + quality computer. Just do the research.

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users