Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Name of a domain:

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 patbox

patbox

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:36 PM

I have a general question, but I will make a concrete example to explain it better.

Example:

Say I like BMW (which is a type of a car). So I would like to make a website where I will have a blog about BMWs and write some news, what is going on in the development of those cars.

Can I create a domain called:

www.bmw-news.com or www.bmw-blog.com or www.bmw-fan.com

Is this all right to do? I found it natural way of doing things, but some people might object. I do not want to call it e.g. www.car-news.com because I only write about BMW.

This is concrete example, but my question is general. (So you could also have www.nba-news.com, www.what-is-new-in-nhl.com www.I-like-pepsi.com etc.)

Finally, also an option is to sub-domain it like pepis.I-like-softdrinks.com or bwm.car-news.com or nhl.sportfan.net?

What is your opinion on this?

Edited by patbox, 11 April 2009 - 08:38 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

I'll try to answer this as generally as possible. You can create any domain that you like, providing that it is available. You can also any subdomain that you own, as long as it is available. If you do not own a particular domain, you cannot subdomain it.

#3 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:18 PM

Well groovicus, you can own a domain and still not be able to sub-domain it... Why is because in the sub-domain, if the network that the domains server is running on, does not contain or support Named Pipes, then the hosts file within the domain's server would have to hold the ip to the subjected subdomain... Just the same you can have a sub-domain without owning the domain, for instance, no-ip.com... My website's url is a free sub-domain, but I do not own the no-ip.info domain... Again same reason, the sub domain must either be defined within the hosts file, or be within a named server on the network, and the network must also support named pipes...

But it is true, you can create just about any Domain name as you wish, except if I remember correctly most special characters are not aloud; such as... !@#$%^&*()⌐☺►⌂...

Though my opinion on the name thing, well to each his own I guess... But I would suggest that if a website is going to be about one specific thing, then it would be a good idea to have the Domain Name reflect that one specific thing... Though if the website is going to be about many things or contain many things, then a Domain Name should reflect the group of things, or maybe not reflect anything period...

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

Ok, but every domain I have, I can subdomain any way I wish. If you are using no-ip, then you are using a subdomain, and you do not own the actual domain in the first place. I tried to make that distinction. :thumbsup: I host my own domains, so there is not an issue.

#5 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Yea, I just figured I would clarify things just a little bit more lol... I sometimes do not like having to have a sub-domain, as soon as I get the money to get a domain name with a good dns, I am going to get one lol... Though I am not really sure if I want to change the name of everything, or use something other then .com...

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:03 AM

Domains are cheap. One can handle their own DNS through sites like afraid.org. or you can script it yourself. It isn't that difficult. I have been handling my own domains through there for years.

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 02:01 AM

Well I was planning on going with No-Ip, or GoDaddy... They have a lot of reliable dns servers... And your right it isn't expensive, but when you have very little money, and a lot of bills, and been out of work due to this damned recession, so I haven't been making much... Thankfully though I will be going back to work with the state... Once I get a few bills paid off, I am gonna get the domain name...

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:08 AM

freedns doesn't cost anything. You just have to set up the domain yourself.

#9 patbox

patbox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

A,) Ok, so when I create something like www.pepsi-is-good.com ..www.nhl-news.com then I am not breaking any copyright laws? To get a clear answer.

---

B,) I also have a problem with subdomain, as you discussed above. I have some webhosting, and I can create subdomains there, but the subomains always go to the main dir. When I forward it to a different dir, it will not appear as a subdomain, but just as the dir I entered.

e.g.

subdomain.example.com ... will go to example.com

when I forward subdomain.example.com ... to example.com/subdomain ... it will not apoear as subdomain but as example.com/subdomain

so what you are saying is that I could redo the DNS somehow for free, so that it looks as subdomain? that would be awesome.

Edited by patbox, 12 April 2009 - 01:00 PM.

Message from Patbox: I AM LOOKING FOR A GIRLFRIEND (PM if interested) :-)

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 01:32 PM

No. You do not own the Pepsi brand, nor do you own nhl news. That is called trademark infringement, unless you put a huge disclaimer at the top of the page stating that you are in no way affiliated with the company, and that your views do not represent the views of the company, you could get sued. And you could still get a letter in the mail from their lawyers threatening legal action regardless.

so what you are saying is that I could redo the DNS somehow for free, so that it looks as subdomain? that would be awesome.

The purpose of subdomains is to provide a way to differentiate content. For example, mail.groovicus.com goes to my mail server. Groovicus.com goes to my blog. ftp.groovicus.com goes to my ftp server; Think of a domain like an apartment building, and a subdomain like individual apartment addresses. It doesn't make sense to create a subdomain just to have it go to the same place. Depending on how your host provider has things set up, if someone tries to use a subdomain and there is no record for it, then the request is going to go to the default domain. I don't know what their procedure is. You can't just tack on a subdomain on a URL and magically expect it to go somewhere else.

You would benifit from spending some time on Wikipedia reading about domains, subdomains, domain name resolution, and addressing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users