Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

change the boot sequence in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 barnaclebill

barnaclebill

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:31 PM

Hello,

I am using the tutorial on resizing a partition using the GParted Live CD.

The computer is an old Compaq Presario 700 with XP.

It has a floppy drive and it will not boot from the CD I made.

The instructions say "Note: You may need to change the boot sequence in you BIOS to boot from the CD drive."

I can't find instructions on how to do that, can anyone help?

Thank you.

I am doing this for practice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 09:25 PM

You need to get into setup as the computer first starts to boot, you may have to watch the screen as it goes through the boot sequence to whit key that machine uses. there are few variations, what for hit # so & so to enter setup. Once in setup take time to digest how to get round and what the different screens allow you to do. Amongst the menus you will find where to set the boot sequence, seat it to you CD drive and exit it will ask if you want to save changes. That should do it, if there is any problem or it just won't work on that machine go back into setup and choose default bios settings all will go back to factory board setup.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 barnaclebill

barnaclebill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:04 PM

Well, I finally got it there by tapping F10.

Thanks

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:08 PM

I believe it's hit F10 when the COMPAQ logo appears. Next go to the Advanced tab to go the Advanced Options. Then go to the Boot Order option. From here you can reset the boot options. Highlight the first boot option and you can hit enter and it will give you a selection of what to boot to first, there you would select the Cd drive to boot from first.

Edited by boopme, 11 April 2009 - 10:09 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users