Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gigabit home network is it worth it?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 stinkfist

stinkfist

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:00 PM

Hello,

I have a 50gb cable modem running to a Linksys BEFSR41 wired router that is running four PC's and one PS3 game system. All of the rooms are wired with Cat60 Ethernet cables. My wife and I both work from home and download files all the time with are PC's. Will I see a improvement of speed if I convert to a gigabit network system? Also are the USB gigabit adapters just as good as using the PCI card adapters?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:19 PM

Firstly, the only increase in performance you will notice with a gigabit network, is the transfer rate within the local network... In order to experience better internet speeds, you would have to contact your ISP for that... Also the USB is pretty much the same as PCI, except the fact that with PCI you can get better transfer rate between the card and the board, then you can with USB... (or so it was last time I checked...) USB 2.0 if I remember correctly only transfers up to like 40mb/sec ... Last I known, the USB transfer speeds have gone up, but not really sure to what, or how certain that is...

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:52 PM

PCI card can offer Gigabit(1000MBps) connection, but USB 2.0 is limited to 480 MBps.

Although, USB Gigabit manufacturers claim to have 1000MBps speeds, it never goes up 480MBps since USB2.0 cannot transfer data at higher speeds.

If you have USB3.0(which you cannot have since it would be available in 2010), then your story takes a different turn as USB 3.0 an handle data rates upto 3.2 GBps (3200MBps).

#4 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

Romeo - Thanks for correcting my usb 2.0 speads lol... So 2010 is when USB3.0 comes out ehh... I thought they were planning on trying to release it this year (or at least I found that sometime last year...)

#5 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:35 PM

Great thanks for the info. I guess it is not worth if it only speeds up data from PC to PC. I run two PS3's and four PC's I need internet speed and download from the web speed.

#6 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 12 April 2009 - 05:58 PM

First of all if you are planning on upgrading your Cable just to play games faster then don't. If you are connecting to a server for one of your ps3 games its not going to be any faster just cause you have 50GB/s with gigabyte cards and gigabyte switch. The server may not have that much bandwidth to provide faster connection rates. The real only benefit that you would get would be the download rates from most servers (ie. the latest ubuntu iso). But the biggest improvement would be the local transfer rates within the 5 computer you have at your house. Let's say that you are moving big autocad files back and forth then it would be beneficial. Also with most cable ISPs the 50GB/s is advertised to UP TO not a guaranteed rate (like t-1 lines).

The equipment that you have may not be enough. The Linksys Router that you have can't handle that connection rate so you will have to get a gigabyte router in order to see any improvements. Plus the gigabit cards will needed to be purchased (as mentioned earlier PCI would be the pick of choice if not on the motherboard already). And also if it is 5 computers then a Gigabyte switch will be needed.

So is it worth it. For the average user that just need simple internet browsing and playing games, no. But for the user that downloads iso's and torrents than yes.

Hope that helps,

uByte

#7 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:22 PM

uByte - Even for the user that downloads iso's and torrents (as I do), the only way it is going to be worth the money, is if you have a 1Gbps or higher service from your ISP... Otherwise it will only speed up transfers within the LOCAL NETWORK and that is it... Ironically in order to get that high of a transfer speed if I am remember correctly you would have to be on at least an Oct-20 connection... A connection in which not many people period would be able to afford... A connection that is not supplied by a typical ISP... A connection in which the majority of financially secure people wouldn't be able to afford. An Oct-20 connection would be 1040Mbps... Which would be roughly 1.02Gbps... (Also please remember none of the advertising speeds are correct... for instance, if a package says 1Gbps (being BIT not BYTE), the speed is actually 1,000,000,000 bits, but for it to actually be 1Gbps it would have to be 1,073,741,824 bits)
Edit: Well I guess an Oct-2 connection would a good excuse as well to use a GigaBit network... Seeing as the Oct-2 connection would be 104mbps, which with using a 100mbps network you will loose about 4mbps in bottle necking... Also a connection most financially secure people still could not afford... If I remember correctly, it would cost at least 200-300 per month for an Oct-2 connection... ( I could be wrong...)

Now if your network is always processing a lot of internal data, such as running a business, transferring huge files non-stop between each computer on the network, plus you are maintaining every single work order, and bank transaction, and running security cameras (more then say 10), as well as maintaining those on multiple servers, and calculating physics and quantum physics between multiple servers... Then okay, A GigaBit network, is for you...

Edited by burn1337, 12 April 2009 - 06:26 PM.

#8 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:21 PM

Ok just want to make sure I understand this. I don't have a server PC I just have a 50gb cable modem hooked to a router with cat 60 cables. Now this router feeds fours pc's & two PS3's through Panasonic Ethernet adapters that use the house wiring running through the house. Two of the PC's run direct cat 60 wire from the router the others use the Panasonic adapters. If I get a upgraded gigabit router and gigabit pci card for my PC's it will not help me for internet speed, downloading files from the internet or PS3 online game playing right?

#9 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 12 April 2009 - 11:48 PM

Do you mean Cat 6E? cause to my knowledge they don't have Cat 60...
No it will not improve internet connection... It will improve connection between local network devices i.e.; say you want to listen to music on your ps3 from one of your other computers, it will improve the speed of that... But it will not improve the speed of the internet as a whole... To increase the internet it's self, you would have to get a faster connection through your ISP... Also the only way (as I described above), that the GigaBit network technology is going to help you, is if your internet connection speed is above 100mbps...

#10 stinkfist

stinkfist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 01:03 AM

Do you mean Cat 6E? cause to my knowledge they don't have Cat 60...
No it will not improve internet connection... It will improve connection between local network devices i.e.; say you want to listen to music on your ps3 from one of your other computers, it will improve the speed of that... But it will not improve the speed of the internet as a whole... To increase the internet it's self, you would have to get a faster connection through your ISP... Also the only way (as I described above), that the GigaBit network technology is going to help you, is if your internet connection speed is above 100mbps...

Ok thanks. Yes i meant Cat 6E sorry. I really never use anything from PC to PC so it won't help me. If I need to down load music I get it direct from the PC that has it. I will ask what my ISP (Comcast) has for connection speed? So it has to be above 100mbps? I know they have a 100gb & 150gb package available he told me but I think it was alot of money.

#11 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:40 AM

100gb?? are you sure he wasn't talking 100mb or 150mb?? 100 and 150gb... Cause that is like an OC-2900 (150.8Gbps), which is something that an ISP would probably use... Most typical and small to mid business providers would offer packages up to 100 or 150mbps, or even a 1gb, or 10gb... But those are all very very expensive...

#12 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

I think Stinkfist got it wrong. I dont think any of the service providers will give 150GB speeds to customers, I even doubt if they can give 150mbps. Unless he is talking about the download limit.

My service provider can only give me 24Mbps at the max :thumbsup:

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#13 burn1337

burn1337

• Banned
  • 311 posts
  •  

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Any good provider can provide 150mpbs (at least those of high speeds), though typically, you would have to be on a business account to get it... Or be willing to pay for the Fiber Optics, or what ever technology is provided by the provider....
Though as for 150gbps connection, that would be more then just expensive and there are more technologies then just Fiber Optics (OC) that provide connections of those speeds and in excess of those speeds...
sreez, if you talked to your provider about using a business account, I am sure if you had the money to fork out, you could get a 100mbps connection...

#14 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:41 PM

Let's clerify some things.

First lets go over what you have you stated that you have a Linksys router a cable modem and 2 computers the use the powerline technology to communicate. You state that you are getting 50GB/s off your cable line and that you are interested in upgrading your network to gigabit?

First of all you maximum throughput on the power line adapters is only 14Mb/s so you have to run 2 CAT6 cables to those computers to get the benefit of Gigabyte. Secondly, the 50Gb/s is more like 50Mb/s a quick google search gives us this link that talks about the different plans. And we all know that 50Mb is about half a gigabyte. So to put it to rest you would not be getting any kind of improvement on your internet speeds (maybe downloading as discussed many times before).

Burn1337
The best I could find with your OCT2 term is Optical Carrier 3 (OC-3) which peaks out at 155.52Mb/s.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_Carrier#OC-3.

If I remember correctly, it would cost at least 200-300 per month for an Oct-2 connection... ( I could be wrong...)

And the price on the OC3 mind you is anywhere from $20,000-$40,000/mo. http://www.oc3bids.com/oc3-services-overview.shtml

And the closest to getting 50Gb/s is a OC-96 at 4976.64Mb/s which I don't think comcast or any ISP can even guarantee or pay for in order for us to get. If a OC3 is 20-40,000/mo I would hate to hear what a OC-96 is.

To sum it up I don't think its worth getting a gigabit LAN.

uByte

#15 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 PM

Posted 13 April 2009 - 11:03 PM

I think uByte is confusing things here. I had my head spinning for a while.

Secondly, the 50Gb/s is more like 50Mb/s

stinkfist has 50 Gbps router : the capacity of router not his internet connection.

And we all know that 50Mb is about half a gigabyte.

Last time I checked 1 GB = 1000MB. Even if you made a typing mistake for Gigabit which means 1000Mbits and used for data transfer rates, its wrong.
You may say that small b is used for bits and uppercase B is used for Bytes. Then why comparing 50Mbps to gigabyte?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users